+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Melbourne anyone?

Hi everyone,

My little family and I will be driving from Adelaide to Melbourne later this month.

I don't know Melbourne and have never driven the route before. We would be staying in Melbourne for two days then driving back.

Would anyone be so kind as to recommend child friendly accommodation in Melbourne? It doesn't have to be five star. Just something close to the CBD would be great. Also, places to stop en route? Whether it's worth adding the extra two hours to take in the Ocean Road? And once in Melbourne, things to see? I hear the markets are great...

We will have a twin pram with us and a backpack to carry stuff around as we plan to park the car and walk rather than rely on driving.

My DH loves St Kilda (he's been there once before) and wants to try some pizza and Italian fare. Me, I do enjoy a good coffee (albeit decaf at the moment as I'm pregnant) and art.

We don't get to travel much and would love to maximise this opportunity so any recommendations you could give us would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are doing same I made similar post couple days ago

When I drove over there was a big koala? (Never done ocean road so we will be doing this, this time!) we have donkey.

I goto Melb with grandma every 2-3 months and honestly the markets aren't great! Cheap Chinese crap... Dfo and st kilda ones great! I posted because I wanted to do more tourist things like zoo, hidden shopping places can you goto the aquarium?

We have semi changed our minds to goto syd now lol.

Jump on last minute.com.au I think it is and you put kids as well

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want Italian, you should definitely go to Lygon St in Carlton. I took DS to the aquarium when he was 15 months and he enjoyed it, I'd recommend it.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know what St Kilda market is like nowdays. It used to be good, lots of local artist stuff but perhaps a local can advise? If you want handmade stuff check out the craft markets Victoria website. They run 1-2 markets every weekend but wherever it is you will need to drive as they are all out of town. (except, I think, Flemington)

I've only done the inland drive once. There's a giant lobster along the way but not a heap else. The roos are bad near the border so take care if driving at dawn/dusk. I's say take the ocean road there and inland back.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the weathers nice go to the Melbourne Zoo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely Lygon street for pizza and coffee!
    Museum is fantastic for kids. Aquarium is good but a bit more expensive. Zoo is fun too. St kilda market is great on a Sunday morning. Collingwood children's farm for something a bit different.
    I have no advice on accommodation but check out the cheap booking sites as they often have deals on suites and apartments perfect for kids.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome feedback. Thank you. At least I have somewhere to start. Might forget the CBD and get accommodation in St Kilda. Have written all of your suggestions. Thanks again!!!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't stay in st Kilda! Red light district plus loads of backpackers. Not great with kids. If you want real Italian head to the waiters club or pelligrini in the CBD. Most of Lygon st is an over priced tourist trap. Your best bet along the southern strip is Tiamo's or Trotters or Jimmy's Wine Bar- avoid avoid avoid the places closer to the city. Definitely check out the new Brunetti in Lygon court for coffee and cake. Otherwise head up to the East Brunswick end of Lygon st to Bar Idda for fantastic Sicilian food. Or if you want to splash out, there's Florentino in town as well.
    As PP said, zoo and museum are great. If you want markets check out the White Hat web page, they have a really comprehensive list of what's on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (04-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh and NGV international is pretty good. Make sure you go through the Great Hall through to the sculpture garden, it's lovely and a bit of a hidden Melbourne secret. Heide museum of modern art is a great day trip too. You can also get walking tours of Melbourne's lane way street art.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with fearless leader. Lygon st is very touristy. If you want pizza D.O.C on Elgin st (off Lygon) is great as is pizza e birra in st kilda or frattelinos in Prahran.

Some other things to do: St kilda pier to see the penguins at dusk, melbourne museum is fun, NGV, ACMI at fed square, eureka towers has great views over the city, south melbourne market to get some supplies and then a picnic on the bay or in the botanic gardens.

Have fun!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LaceyGracie For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (04-11-2013)