+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When to stop IVF

If you stopped IVF - How many cycles until you made that decision? What were the main factors that contributed to your decision to stop? Do you regret it or are you happy that you stopped?

We're in our 3rd cycle with transfer this Saturday. All 3 cycles have been stim cycles as we haven't managed to get any in the freezer. DH and I agree that we'll take a break if this one doesn't work but DH suggested last night that he might not be willing to do it again. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck for transfer this weekend Cue, hopefully you don't have to face this decision as this will be your BFP.

We're about to start our 4th stim cycle (no frosties here either) and DH and I agreed we would keep trying for another year (as long as I felt up to it) and then discuss again.

It's getting harder and harder each time though, so either way it's not an easy decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It definitely gets harder, this cycle has been much more uncomfortable and disruptive so I don't think I could just keep doing it over and over.

We're very lucky to have DD so that makes it a little easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    If you stopped IVF - How many cycles until you made that decision? What were the main factors that contributed to your decision to stop? Do you regret it or are you happy that you stopped?

We're in our 3rd cycle with transfer this Saturday. All 3 cycles have been stim cycles as we haven't managed to get any in the freezer. DH and I agree that we'll take a break if this one doesn't work but DH suggested last night that he might not be willing to do it again. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    Cue sometimes it does feel a bit like we are paying huge dollars for nothing. I mean you expect to pay huge dollars but at the end you expect to have a baby so it is very frusturating when you do it time and time again and don't get one. I am lucky in that I have/had frosties. I guess we will stop or slow down a lot when we run out of money. We don't want to get into debt for this so ATM we have enough money to do one more stim and any subsequest frozen cycles and I have two frosties left now. After that if we still have all BFN's we are going to have to save up again so will take a few years. To be honest if it were up to me I would do a hundred cycles I want a baby that badly but my DH is a bit over it already and feels like we have already paid $6000 for absolutely nothing because technically we are back at the start with a new FS and a new clinic and re doing all the tests trying to find out what is going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say best of luck with this cycle and hopefully you won't need to worry about having to do any more

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharlee32 For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very best of luck for your tf this cycle Cue!

I guess my main factor in quitting would be if it was medically futile. I don't have any children and DH and I both want one so we will still try even if it means donor eggs in the future. I have only managed to cycle twice this year as FS went away, and things failed here and there ie failed thaw etc and so I've been forced to take a break again with endometritis.... So on the flip side I haven't become too burnt out and squeezed a couple of holidays in too. I think IVF can really take over your life and sap your energy a bit, not to mention weight gain etc and the disappointments of repeat failures. So I think if I was feeling like quitting again, Id resolve to take another break before trying again. You can always come back to it.

Hopefully u won't need another cycle x

Thanks
    Reviews
    We never stopped doing IVF but we did consider it after many of our transfers ended in chem pregnancies or miscarriage. It took us about 13 cycles over 4 years, 3 FS, lots of research and in the end donor eggs from my sister before we were rewarded with our beautiful DD. Having lots of breaks away from IVF to look after ourselves and consider our next plan of attack is what got us through.

Eveyone has has their limit either financially or emotionally of what they can take but a lot of people who persevere and are able to advocate for their own treatment seem to get there in the end.

Good luck with your transfer, hope this is the one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi Cue

My story is currently on the Bubhub blog page (the miracle of Hannah), if you get a chance have a read of that. We took 9 cycles over 8 years before my first BFP and now 3 month old DD.

During my many counselling sessions I asked the same question. My counsellor suggested that you only stop (not give up) when the following apply:
    • When you can no longer financially afford it
    • When medically you are told not to continue (this should also consider donor)
    • You both emotionally cannot continue
    • You have consider other options: adoption, foster etc
    • You have a plan for what your life is like without children
    • You are satisfied that you have done everything you can
    • Both parties agree
    If you have thought about these questions and feel satisfied with your answers than it is time for you to stop. Otherwise keep going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck to you Cue.

We are starting our final cycle in 5 weeks. 3 egg collections and 6 transfers will be enough. Taking into account my age and the financial cost as well as the travel we need to do, this year is it, we want to be done with ivf and will b content with whatever the outcome the coming cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cue, we were in a similar position trying for #2. DH was feeling like we should call it quits after 4 stims and 1 FET, all BFN. Our egg numbers and fert rate were rapidly declining as well. I reluctantly agreed to stop but said I really felt we should get a secnd opinion before I could walk away. We saw another FS who did more tests, found something else wrong, treated me with meds and I got BFP on our next stim. I am obviously so glad we didn't stop. It's such a hard call though. Hope you get your BFP this round and don't have to decide!