+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New working mum

Hi, I am the mother of a wonderful 11 month old little boy. I have just finished 12 months of maternity leave and started a new job as a solicitor. The job is 3 days per week and I've completed one day. My question is, does it get easier leaving them behind? My mum is caring for my son until he gets a place in daycare but the whole day I just wanted to cry. I missed him so much. Is it normal to be like this? If so, how long did it last?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most definately normal. I went back to work when ds was 6 months old and was miserable for a couple months. It has gotten easier.

I just tell myself that I go to work to earn money so we can have a comfortable life and do fun things. Ds is also looked after at home by mum which helps. I know he is happy with her as he almost launches himself out of my arms to her when she arrives.

Just be gentle on yourself, and cherish the time you are home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes it gets easier x

Thanks
    Reviews
    It gets easier as they get older. I've been back at work since DD was 11months old and we have a nanny plus her grandparents visit a lot during the week. I've found it has gotten easier as she has become more independent and vocal. I feel more comfortable now as she is able to tell me how her day was and give me cuddles and kisses when I leave and get home. DD is 20months now.

You never stop thinking about them or missing them though 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It gets much easier, I have been back at work for 2 months now and am now fine with leaving her. I throw myself into my work and get so busy, and to be honest I usually don't even think of her until I stop to make / but my lunch. It sounds horrible but I know she's safe and know that the busier I am, the faster my day will go and the sooner I can go see her. Give your mum a call a few times through the day for as long as you need to, just to see how she's going :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I'm glad to hear it gets better. It's a real struggle this week with a new job and they've really piled on the work. I think it's just harder coz my DS is in bed by the time I get home so I go two days without seeing him awake. Just need to get through these next few months I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I work as a solicitor 3 days a week as well with a 13mo and a 5yo.

I found as I got back into the swing of work, I was so busy that I didn't have time to miss the baby.

But I have a flexible arrangement with hours so I still have some time at home, and then catch up at night.

I think the combo of a new job plus returning to work after maternity leave is tough. It will get easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The days you don't see him would it be possible to Skype with him during your lunch break? Might help both of you.

And yes- it gets easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I work as a solicitor 3 days a week as well with a 13mo and a 5yo.

I found as I got back into the swing of work, I was so busy that I didn't have time to miss the baby.

But I have a flexible arrangement with hours so I still have some time at home, and then catch up at night.

I think the combo of a new job plus returning to work after maternity leave is tough. It will get easier.
    OP, is there any way you could start earlier and finish earlier or finish at say 3pm, come home and spend some time with bub before bed then work for a couple of hours at night?