+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be honest I'd probably just not tell them otherwise if I didn't do what they asked.

But no matter who looks after my boys I always say 'whatever gets you through the night'. Even though I have routines and healthy food is really high up on the agenda in my home with my kids - if someone else is doing me a favour by watching them I would happily accept their way of doing things. Much like 'different house, different rules.' I can't stand people sitting anywhere but at the table when eating ... So even if I'm looking after a child who normally watches TV when eating dinner - it just doesn't happen in my house.

I used to be pretty anal with DS1 though and stressed over in laws and 'my rules', I've learnt to let it go and my boys know my expectations and others differ.

So after that essay - I wouldn't make a point of doing things on purpose because I felt my way was better than the parents - I'd just do whatever made us all comfortable and got us through the day/night. Kids can behave/respond very differently with other people. If a bub was crying at my place I'd cuddle them up - even though I did CC with my own kids.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Mum2EandR  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To all the PP's still hung up on the CIO/CC, it was an example. I said it was 'in vogue' now because as a child of the 80s all of my family/friends/neighbours were all routine and CC babies. Mum had never heard of AP until I had my daughter. That's all. I really don't know the history or what is truly in vogue or whatever. Just making an example based on my own personal experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And seeing as this is a theoretical question can we all please try to be slightly less condescending.

Many PP's have said "I wouldn't CC because I don't believe in it" etc etc. Totally Fine

What's not fine is to make out that parents that CC are not not in tune, or connected with their children. That's a judgement call and really not cool.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (31-10-2013),VicPark  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've already replied to this thread but I've thought about it a bit more.

Mostly because I'm positive I will struggle to not be overbearing with my grand kids. I'll be that nanna put on visitation restrictions.

I think if my grand kids are in my house it's fair that I expect them to obey my house rules & be respectful of my belongings etc. So I'm thinking if my kids think they can bring the grand kids to my house to run wild I won't like that. I also think I won't like grand kids having too much junk in my care just the odd treat.

CC as I've already said will be a no no for me as like a pp said it also drives me nuts listening to an under 1 cry. I can handle tantrums fine lol.

I probably will struggle to discipline grand kids how my kids would like. I'm more a provide distraction kind of person.

I really think I'll need constant reminding to but out & keep my opinions to myself. My poor kids:/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    To all the PP's still hung up on the CIO/CC, it was an example. I said it was 'in vogue' now because as a child of the 80s all of my family/friends/neighbours were all routine and CC babies. Mum had never heard of AP until I had my daughter. That's all. I really don't know the history or what is truly in vogue or whatever. Just making an example based on my own personal experience.
    I would be very surprised if AP is in vogue, you just have to look at all of the products on the market (I define AP as Dr Sears definition, with the 7 Bs - breastfeeding, baby wearing, etc). I think things come and go and then come back again. I was a child of the 80s and, according to my mum, a baby being left to cry was unheard of because they were backlashing against their parents militant, 50s Truby King style of parenting. My mum was strapped to her cot, babies left outside in the pram, babies fed "solids" from days old, kids seen and not heard etc. thank god I was NOT babysat by my grandparents hahaha.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (01-11-2013),FutureMa  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    I was born in the 80s too and my mum would never dream of CC. I guess it just depends on the family you belong too... Just as it does today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I did cc with both my kids and they are fine, no issues what so ever..i firmly believe in it and if my children do it with their kids they have my support.
    whatever my kids decide to do with their children is their business and I will support them and when I am asked to babysit I will do the same as children thrive on routine.
    Whew I'm not the only one. Thanks Louise. Bh is a pretty anti cc place and I always feel awkward contributing when I have done it.

I think common sense comes into play with regards to discipline and diet. I want to be able to share a special treat with my grandchild, like hot chips on the beach, but it isn't any every day thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would follow most instructions, CIO is something I just couldn't do. Diet/discipline/Telly or whatever I'm pretty easy on.
    I was an 80s kid too, my mum followed her mothers advice regarding CIO and discipline, she always had strategies and manipulation rather than building a trusting relationship. We parent very differently and I don't feel comfortable leaving DD with her for very long (which is such a shame ). I don't want to be passed over because I'm inflexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnels View Post
    Whew I'm not the only one. Thanks Louise. Bh is a pretty anti cc place and I always feel awkward contributing when I have done it.

I think common sense comes into play with regards to discipline and diet. I want to be able to share a special treat with my grandchild, like hot chips on the beach, but it isn't any every day thing.

Im going to be a Grandma in May 2014.. my DS is having a baby with his Gf... After reading all the negative posts about how in law grand parents are treated and lack of babysitting time,, im terrified.. I think I will ask my DIL to write me a manual lol even though she will only be 18 when bub is born and I will be 42, I think after reading all the posts I need to make sure I conform to her ideas or I will be banned from babysitting because there certainly is some very strong opinions on how wrong MIL's are...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Louise I wouldn't worry about it... there are a lot of different types of parents on bubhub all yammering on about what is right or wrong, but you can only work with what is best for *your* family. There is no one way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Mum2EandR  (02-11-2013)