+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think people are getting a bit stuck on the CC thing. I think maybe junk food or tv might be better examples (correct me if I'm wrong OP) but I'm thinking about telling grandma 'absolutely no tv', then poor granny chases a toddler all day and gets no respite. Or mum and dad say 'absolutely no junk food' when granny has been daydreaming about sharing an ice cream with her grandson after playing in the playground, ever since she found out mum was pregnant. In those situations I totally think parents need to CTFD and let granny have an afternoon snooze/give little Timmy an ice cream once a week.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-10-2013),dancingchipmunk  (30-10-2013),ertgirl  (30-10-2013),gumnutbaby  (31-10-2013),kw123  (30-10-2013),Miados2007  (30-10-2013),Mum2EandR  (30-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    giving a toddler junk food on a regular basis is a mild form of child abuse and I will not partake in such practices.
    I think that's a bit extreme.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (31-10-2013),FutureMa  (31-10-2013),smallpotatoes  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Ah yes ok! I see! Sorry.

I have no idea what I think TBH. Do you think it makes a difference if someone is looking after your kids regularly for free (ie. grandparents babysitting 3 days a week), or whether you are paying a babysitter/child care centre. Or if it is an irregular occurrence (one night every couple of months)?

I know I also try to stick to mum & dads routines and ideals if I am babysitting friends kids/nieces/nephews etc. but if I had those children full days, several times a week I would probably make it more workable for me if Mum & Dad were agreeable.
    i think it does. If someone wanted to do strange things with my DS and refused to listen to my wishes and feelings I wouldn't let them babysit and certainly not long-term. Like the OP in the other thread. I was absolutely furious when I picked up my poor little hot, sweaty, beetroot coloured baby they were insanely lucky I didn't refuse to pay them. I am an 'easygoing' person but I do not allow people to do things to my son that I consider neglect and abuse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think people are getting a bit stuck on the CC thing. I think maybe junk food or tv might be better examples (correct me if I'm wrong OP) but I'm thinking about telling grandma 'absolutely no tv', then poor granny chases a toddler all day and gets no respite. Or mum and dad say 'absolutely no junk food' when granny has been daydreaming about sharing an ice cream with her grandson after playing in the playground, ever since she found out mum was pregnant. In those situations I totally think parents need to CTFD and let granny have an afternoon snooze/give little Timmy an ice cream once a week.
    Exactly! CC is a bit emotive.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lets try this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Let's say that in 20 years, the 'done thing' is to put your child in front of the tv at all times, and outdoor time is to be limited to under an hour a day, and preferable none for the under-twos.... Ok ridiculous lol! But let's say it happens. Could you do it? I'd probably do it for short term babysitting arrangements but gosh it'd be hard to change my own opinions and thoughts to accept the 'current recommendations'...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    My DS ended up needing an xray after a few too many treats from a certain nan and dad of his. She is very cute and loves to spoil him but if when he was coming home with tummy aches I simply communicated with her and said I had to put a temporary ban on junk food due to his constipation she was more than happy to oblige. We tend to talk a lot though and have a pretty mutual respect for one another so she's happy to go with whatever. I also go to mum and dad for advice when I feel lost.

she still spoils him, just not as excessively, and not when it coincides with a sleepover at his dad's house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know about the junk food. I don't mind the odd bit here and there but when we went to Ireland, my mil saw it as a rite of passage to feed my 2yo chocolate. So much so that my daughter wouldn't eat dinner and was waking up for milk because she was hungry. My mil wasn't even babysitting, but we were staying in their house. I told her the next day no more chocolate because my daughter had eaten more chocolate in 3 days than she had her whole life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think I would do take a leaf of my husbands book :
    say yes to everything asked and then do whatever you please! he never gets in trouble since he agrees with everything ;-)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Mum2EandR  (30-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would respect their wishes unless it really didn't sit right with me, then I would tell them how I'm feeling and hopefully reach an agreement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast