+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the website linked by Beetee (esp the videos) helpful when learning how to swaddle safely.

I was hopeless at wrapping at first so used a halo sleep sack until I got the hang of wrapping using the method in the video. The halo sleepsack was easy to use and great in those early days. I use wraps or a different swaddle now and make sure that the legs have enough room to be able to move and rotate the hip joint.

The website also has good information on hip-friendly carriers. I found this handy before choosing and fitting slings/carriers.
    Last edited by clbj; 31-10-2013 at 01:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not surprised, there was some discussion around the love to dream swaddles when my 20 month dd was born and how they held the legs too straight. After having a scare of clicky hips and getting an X-ray to confirm clear I stopped using them. I noticed the new ones have larger leg area to allow the froggy legs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

CatesBean  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Recurrent dislocation or dysplasia of the hips (or any joint) can potentially lead to arthritis
    Thanks beetee!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cheese View Post
    I'm not surprised, there was some discussion around the love to dream swaddles when my 20 month dd was born and how they held the legs too straight. After having a scare of clicky hips and getting an X-ray to confirm clear I stopped using them. I noticed the new ones have larger leg area to allow the froggy legs.
    Got distracted by my DS whilst watching the news yesterday, he picked his time to cry, lol!

I guess parents need to be shown the correct way to do it first so that they aren't swaddling too tight!

I actually use love to dream swaddles now as DS prefers to sleep with his hands up. I purchased a new one recently and was given a 2nd hand one as well and was confused about why it was much longer even though it was the same size. Makes sense now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The newer Love to Dream swaddles seem to be longer and also a little wider from the waist down than the older ones I've seen. I think it's also a case of keeping an eye on the fit as the baby grows. I noticed once DS was about 5-5.5kg, the small Love to Dream swaddles were getting a bit too snug for him to sleep comfortably with froggy legs/M position (even though fit was fine through arms and chest), but I moved him into a medium (recommended from 6kg on packaging) and it was all good.

Hopefully the swaddling press release is a good reminder for people to check how they are wrapping, size/fit of swaddles, design if their carriers and car seats etc. I must say though that the news story I saw on a commercial station didn't attempt to direct people to useful resources like the Hip Dysplasia website, SIDS and Kids website, Kidsafe/Ngala/Tresillian etc, rather it just implied that swaddling causes hip problems and SIDS and so experts are recommending against it. No mention that these issues are related to bad techniques rather than swaddling per se. Typical dodgey/sensational journalism and it might confuse people who don't have access to the reputable resources that outline how to swaddle safely and the risks/benefits of doing so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

CatesBean  (02-11-2013)