+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Come in guys, clearly he has *some* idea since he just birthed a giant load of **** on the world.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.
    I think I love you...

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He sounds like an a grade douche, but I don't think men shouldn't have an opinion on child birth. I call bull on the 'you cant comment unless you've experienced it' line. None of us have experienced anyone else's labour- just our own. So IMO a male midwife know far more about what it's 'like' to be in labour than I do. He sees it every day, even if I experienced labour twice I've never been present while another woman births.
    The author is a big knobhead though- 'I delivered two babies' no you didn't buddy that was your missus!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (30-10-2013),LoveLivesHere  (30-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree, it isn't because he is a man it's because he's clueless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    He sounds like an a grade douche, but I don't think men shouldn't have an opinion on child birth. I call bull on the 'you cant comment unless you've experienced it' line. None of us have experienced anyone else's labour- just our own. So IMO a male midwife know far more about what it's 'like' to be in labour than I do. He sees it every day, even if I experienced labour twice I've never been present while another woman births.
    The author is a big knobhead though- 'I delivered two babies' no you didn't buddy that was your missus!
    There's a difference between knowing what it's like to be in labour, and knowing what it's like to support people through labour

I'm a midwife who has never given birth

I know the mechanics, I know how to support, I know the risks, complications, benefits, pros cons etc

I know, in THEORY, what it's like to give birth
    And absolutely, I know more than a lot of mothers

But having never experienced it, I could never (and would never) make a statement about what it feels like to be in labour
    (Even once I have, I wouldn't, because no two labours are the same :P that's off topic though :P )

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-10-2013),beebs  (30-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    If his opinion was based on a thorough and educated review of current research, that would be one thing. But to claim he knows what women in labour experience, um, no- he does not. Even if he was a male obstetrician with years of experience behind him I would still say that he doesn't truly know what women in labour experience. Male obs SEE women in labour, they assist women in labour but they have NEVER experienced labour so it's impossible for them to really know what it's like on anything more than an academic level.
    Slightly OT but recently a male friend tried to tell me, on Facebook, what feminism is. (Dude, I KNOW what feminism is, I wouldn't call myself a feminist if I didn't!!)
    Lol this!! I know when my DD was crowning my OB (love him to death) said "oooo yes there's that burn, it hurts doesn't it!" I felt like kicking him in the n... and saying nooooo how would you know how much it hurts lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pumpkinears For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (31-10-2013)