+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Eczema on hands

Didn't know where to put this... I have never had eczema (just sensitive skin), and since having bub, I have terrible hand eczema, so bad that it hurts to change her nappy and I have started to wear cotton gloves for normal tasks like pegging out or folding the washing. I forgot to ask the doctor about it last week (it was also her vaccinations, so focussed on her) at my six week check up, but I have a follow up on Thursday anyway (issue with stitches). I wondered if anyone else has had any issues and did you identify the cause? It could be that I have had a reaction to something I am using on my daughter (wipes, the Milton solution etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and my bub is fine, has perfect skin, initially had very mild nappy rash which cleared after changing her wipes from the freebies the hospital gave us to more sensitive skin ones... Shes six weeks old now. I really hope she doesn't have my skin, I have always had issues, right from day one - mum couldn't use disposables on me apparently because they'd give me a rash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have excema, and after having my dd it got horrible on my hands because of all the hand washing you have to do with a new baby. Sorbelene and coconut oil will be your new best friend. Disposable gloves to change nappies so you don't *have* to wash your hands afterwards helps, but I couldn't not wash my hands after a nappy- it felt gross!

Having your hands constantly in water- hand washing, washing clothes, cleaning and sterilizing is the issue. Unfortunately there isn't too much you can do about it

Me 27 + Him 28 =
    DD- 20.7.2012
    #2 due 28.1.2014
    6 angels loved and missed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rach85 For This Useful Post:

kimberlina81  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ordered some coconut oil off eBay and I have started using cetaphil for washing hands and the thick cream a few times a day. Will ditch the wipes and Milton. I wash my hands ALL the time and use hand sanitizer as well normally but prob not with harsh chemicals like dish washing liquid or disinfectant which my hands are forever in now! Hopefully it will get better with gloves and care and it won't recur. The doctor prescribed a topical steroid that is safe for breadtfeeding but I'm yet to fill the script.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately after religiously wearing gloves, hand cream etc, it went away but has now come back, but not as bad thankfully as I caught it earlier. I reckon it is an allergy, it is more on my right than left hand. I can't figure out what yet, I have stopped using wipes and baby wash (husband baths her) and soap (use soap free wash). I have a suspicion it is the nappy rash cream as there is an ingredient in there that is the same as a deodorant both my sister and I developed an allergy to (easy to identify that one, not many things go on your armpits!). Bligh, sucks to have sensitive skin!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use a little bit of DS' cortisone cream on my hands, clears it right up. He has terrible eczema and we have had some success with the body shop hemp cream and also Rosken sensitive skin. About to order something called hydraluron which is meant to be very good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberlina81 View Post
    Bligh, sucks to have sensitive skin!
    Argh- I hear ya!

Well it is good that you got some relief from using the gloves and hand creams. Good for you to know with managing it. I hope you find out what you are allergic to soon!

Me 27 + Him 28 =
    DD- 20.7.2012
    #2 due 28.1.2014
    6 angels loved and missed.