+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have the NT scan or bloods done but had growth & development scan around the 12 week mark to make sure everything was going how it should be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have a nt scan done but I did request a scan at about 12 weeks to check bub was still ok as I had a few miscarriages (missed a couple of times) so it was important for me to know bub was still ok otherwise it was going to be a long wait for a scan. If you don't want it done just request a normal scan for peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very personal decision...

Do you feel that being aware of genetic issues would be good regardless of whether it would change any decision to continue with your pregnancy? If there is an issue, some people like to know what they are dealing with so they can be prepared before baby comes, link with support groups etc.

I would personally have a scan so you know generally bub is good and can have anything checked. You will know growth patterns etc then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could just have a regular scan without the nt bloods that go with it just for peace of mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can share what I did... I chose not to have the bloods done. I did, however have the scan.

My reasons were this... We were keeping the baby, regardless of the scan or blood test results. We had had a dating scan at about 6 ish weeks, as due to my irregular period I could have been 4 weeks or 12 when I found out. But this scan was too early to see a heartbeat. So we still didn't know if I had a viable pregnancy.

If the scan had have shown some kind of defect or special needs child, I was prepared to discuss this with my gp and consider further testing, just so that we knew what to expect, not because we'd consider terminating.

Good luck, do what's right for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the NT scan and blood tests done, not so I could abort if anything was wrong but so I could get all the info and support systems in place to cope if baby had additional needs.

Sent from my U8510 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubinDec View Post
    I had the NT scan and blood tests done, not so I could abort if anything was wrong but so I could get all the info and support systems in place to cope if baby had additional needs.

This is exactly the way I feel. If anything is detected you will be able to have proper counselling by genetic counsellors. Also the scan place i go to does a complete scan of other defects on bub including spina bifida at the same time as nt scan is done. So its a complete morph scan done at 12 weeks and 20 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This may be a silly question, this is my first time being pregnant, I M pretty sure I am up to my 8th week.

i am going for a scan next Wednesday, this is a dating scan correct?
    will this tell me if there is a heartbeat and things are looking ok?

or do I wait and get the 12 week scan to find this out ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope I didn't have one because I wouldn't abort either. I still had us in my ins office though but didn't go and have the big 12 week one at the ultrasound place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by B86 View Post
    This may be a silly question, this is my first time being pregnant, I M pretty sure I am up to my 8th week.

i am going for a scan next Wednesday, this is a dating scan correct?
    will this tell me if there is a heartbeat and things are looking ok?

or do I wait and get the 12 week scan to find this out ?
    This will be a dating scan where you will see the heartbeat and they will measure baby to give you an estimated due date. That's all they really did in my one.