+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 12 Week Scan - Do you go if you don't care about result?

Hi All,

Please forgive my ignorance - first time pregnancy.
    I am a little confused by the 12 week scan. If the outcome of the NT scan doesn't concern you, ie aborting is not an option, is it still a good idea to have the 12 week scan? I'd very much like to see the baby and check it is growing etc, however am a little concerned about the purpose of the scan... Can you help fill me in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We didn't do that scan for either pregnancy as termination is not an option for our family.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have a 12 week scan. We wouldn't have terminated regardless of the result so I didn't see the point, we loved our bub already no matter what the scan showed.
    Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had the 12 week scan. . though we knew no matter the outcome that we would have our baby. It was still exciting to see our baby growing etc.
    The 20 week one is very important. They can detect heart problems and be prepared for if there are issues. I say this as awareness because my dd has a heart defect that was detected at 20 weeks. .. it most likely saved her life.

So yeah. . . We still had scans no matter the outcome.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never had the 12 week scan as wouldn't end things. I'm just going to ask my OB for extra scans in his office to see bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the 12 week scan is a good idea because it will give you peace of mind that baby is ok and you've made it past those first 12 weeks when risk of miscarriage is higher.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had the nt scan with any of my pregnancies, I was keeping my baby regardless

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bundun3 View Post
    I think the 12 week scan is a good idea because it will give you peace of mind that baby is ok and you've made it past those first 12 weeks when risk of miscarriage is higher.
    This.

We had the scan to check that bub was generally ok, but didn't get the NT measurement or bloods for chromosomal testing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bundun3 View Post
    I say this also. Our first bub only measured at 8.5wks & no longer had a hb when we went for the nt scan at 12.5wks. I had no signs whatsoever that bubs had passed 4wks earlier, no spotting & still suffered from ms. Had we not gone for the scan, goodness knows how much longer my body would have hung on to the pregnancy, increasing the risk of infection further

As pp said, you can have the scan bit not have bloods or nt measurments done

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. But wasn't the '12 week scan' originally used to check baby's heart beat and ensure the pregnancy was still progressing..? As well as confirming dates..

These days the 12 week scan is referred to the NT scan and combined with the blood tests as its a safer procedure than getting an amino done if you are higher risk (which of course is still an option in the second trimester)

I guess my point is that there's more to the 12 week scan than JUST the NT testing..
    Like many others, terminating isn't an option and I wasn't bothered with the actual tests and results but I did them anyway just so I could confirm that my pregnancy was progressing and baby was going well..