+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can't guarantee it will work for others but at well as hiding veges in mince/casserole/pasta type dishes my kids also will eat "monster mash" which is sweet potato/pumpkin/carrot/potato mash, sometimes also with cauliflower or zucchini. We also download the song and video from utube and the name change and song has worked a treat in this house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just another thought - do you have any other friends/family members around who would be happy to be strict about food?

My SIL (11) has always been fussy with her food, and is still incredibly fussy at home. When she's here she'll complain about food in the same way that she would at home...but then eat things that she'll refuse to eat for her mum. I think it's a combination of the way we approach food and the fact that we're young and as far as she's concerned, "cooler" than her mum.

I know having other people feed them doesn't help you on a day-to-day basis, but if they do eat differently around different people it might help to pin point some reasons/possible approaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Diced potato, cubed pumpkin, diced carrot, broccoli, cauliflower and peas in a baking dish with 300ml of cream and a teaspoon of garlic and bake for at least an hour or until all vegies cooked. I serve this with silverside yummm and my kids eat it all because the vegies taste like garlic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you make burgers (lentil burgers etc), wrap then in a lettuce leaf instead of bread to stop them just eating bread

Vege con carne (kidney beans instead of mince)

Zucchini slice

Fresh spring rolls (make your own ones, grate up a heap of veges, some fersh herbs and vermicelli noodles, get some rice paper, bowl of warm water on the table for everyone to soak their rice paper in then construct them)

Vege pizza

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have one rule in the house with food- my son doesn't have to like it, he just has to try it. A 2010 study reported it took 8-10 tastes of vegetables before a child liked it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20541572

It works! My son didn't like all sorts of vegetables and I introduced a new one every 10 weeks at dinner under the condition that all he had to do was try it, and he ended up liking them all.

It's also powerful to take them shopping with you and make them choose the vegetables for dinner and help cook them. Then they have a sense of pride and control over it. If you phrase it as "you can pick tomato or corn" or "you can pick two vegetables from these five different ones", they will be forced to choose vegetables, and feel more control over the situation. If you phrase it as an option to eat vegetables, they won't. Make them pick between vegetables, but the choice is always between vegetables, not vegetables or not. Then, when my son says "I don't want/like this" I remind him that HE picked them and he HAS to try it. He is 4.

It works!!! He eats the widest range of vegetables now! Good luck.
    Last edited by Lilahh; 30-10-2013 at 10:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyDiversion View Post
    Can't guarantee it will work for others but at well as hiding veges in mince/casserole/pasta type dishes my kids also will eat "monster mash" which is sweet potato/pumpkin/carrot/potato mash, sometimes also with cauliflower or zucchini. We also download the song and video from utube and the name change and song has worked a treat in this house.
    My kids would look at me funny if I did that LOL. And then refuse to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Just another thought - do you have any other friends/family members around who would be happy to be strict about food?
    My mum doesn't take any nonsense from them. They still do refuse to eat with her, though they refuse more quietly than they do with me LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    If you make burgers (lentil burgers etc), wrap then in a lettuce leaf instead of bread to stop them just eating bread

Vege con carne (kidney beans instead of mince)

Zucchini slice

Fresh spring rolls (make your own ones, grate up a heap of veges, some fersh herbs and vermicelli noodles, get some rice paper, bowl of warm water on the table for everyone to soak their rice paper in then construct them)

Vege pizza
    I like these ideas especially the rice paper rolls. Surely they can't fill themselves up on rice paper...

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    We have one rule in the house with food- my son doesn't have to like it, he just has to try it. A 2010 study reported it took 8-10 tastes of vegetables before a child liked it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20541572

It works! My son didn't like all sorts of vegetables and I introduced a new one every 10 weeks at dinner under the condition that all he had to do was try it, and he ended up liking them all.

It's also powerful to take them shopping with you and make them choose the vegetables for dinner and help cook them. Then they have a sense of pride and control over it. If you phrase it as "you can pick tomato or corn" or "you can pick two vegetables from these five different ones", they will be forced to choose vegetables, and feel more control over the situation. If you phrase it as an option to eat vegetables, they won't. Make them pick between vegetables, but the choice is always between vegetables, not vegetables or not. Then, when my son says "I don't want/like this" I remind him that HE picked them and he HAS to try it. He is 4.

It works!!! He eats the widest range of vegetables now! Good luck.
    No, doesn't work for us. My kids are getting older, they've tried foods waaaaay more than 8-10 times.
    I've also done the picking out a fruit/veggie thing, they think it's an awesome idea and love doing it... until they have to eat it. Then it's back to the normal refusal of food.

Maybe my kids are more stubborn than most...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to commend you on your perseverance!

Very, very impressive. There is no way on earth you should feel like a failure.

It does seem like your kids are pretty good at sticking to their guns, but then again, that can be such a positive trait as well as a difficult one.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just been thinking about this more, and I wonder if they are stuck in a negative mind-set which is making the problem worse.

My DD2 does this, and I found that once I started working on her mindset rather than whatever the fuss was about, she automatically started becoming more receptive to things.

Does that make any sense at all lol??? I guess what I'm wondering is - if you make a rule that for 1 week they had to sit at the table and not say anything negative (or even make any negative faces), then they might get a small reward of some sort. During that time I wouldn't even pass comment on whether they eat any vegies or not. Make it only about having a positive attitude at dinner time....

Might be a silly idea, but that sort of stuff works well for my DD2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I just wanted to commend you on your perseverance!

Very, very impressive. There is no way on earth you should feel like a failure.

It does seem like your kids are pretty good at sticking to their guns, but then again, that can be such a positive trait as well as a difficult one.

Good luck!
    Thanks. I think my kids and I are all as stubborn as each other!