+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Daycare and toilet training! Aaaargh!

Hi ladies. Wondering how everyone went with their daycare helping toilet train? We have spent the weekend cold turkey with the nappies (except for night time sleep) and he has done pretty well. Saturday only 2 wee accidents and Sunday had 2 wee and 2 poo accidents but the wees were when he was preoccupied and not aware of what was happening. He goes to daycare fulltime as I work fulltime and I am really worried they won't be consistent! I have explained to them that we are cold turkey with nappies during the day, that he has spares in his bag, that he might want a couple of "chococcs" (Smarties) after a wee as that's what has worked for us at home. I went to pick him up yesterday and he was soaked - apparently one of the other girls from the other room didn't know he was TT and didn't realise. Anyway, I called today to check how he was going and I get the impression they think I'm a real pain in the ***! It seems to be an effort to speak to me and I feel a bit upset! Also she tells me at lunch time he has already had 3-4 accidents and she didn't sound real impressed. She said if they ran out of his pants she would just "chuck a nappy on him" to which I said no way! Am I being totally unreasonable with this? It will just confuse him to be back in a nappy I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have firsthand experience with this yet (have just started our 2nd attempt at TT today), but when I tried TT DS1 the first time I spoke to his main carers at daycare before he went in that week (only goes 2 days). They said most of the kids in his room were either TT or in the process, and that they ask every 20mins if they need to go. They also did say to pack him with HEAPS of spare undies/ clothes and that if they ran out they would have to put him back in a nappy (I guess they have no choice on that one - they can't leave them wet or naked). He didn't get past 1 day before he refused to go to the potty, so by the time he was back at daycare that week he was back in nappies.

It sounds like the carers at your daycare could make more of an effort to reassure you/ update you on his progress though. I wouldn't be surprised if DS1 has more accidents at daycare than at home just due to the fact they have to toilet 15 kids, whereas at home I only have 1 kid to focus on.

We are trying again this week, so I would be interested to hear from others aswell and their experiences. My biggest worry is inconsistency with the float carers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds's daycare were great when he TT, very proactive. In fact, they never put a nappy on him again from when I first mentioned I was going to start. Admittedly, he took to TT very easily, but apparently that is their standard practice there. I think they prefer the kids being TT.

I would pack a lot of spare undies in his bag, though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD's daycare were similar at the beginning, she had had 4 dry days at home but at daycare they put her back in a nappy after her first accident. It definitely confused her. Luckily she only goes 1 day a week and by the next week she had no accidents and I told them to please give her more chances if she did have an accident. I understand it would be frustrating for them having toilet training kids and accidents but it's really confusing for the poor kids to be put back in nappies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That really sucks!

Our daycare was great when DD started TT, she had accidents but they never put a happy back on her.

Speak to the room leader again and make sure you're clear with what you want done, could they have just misunderstood?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    - sorry subbing as I am looking to start my boy in the new year and am worried about daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly it doesn't sound like your DS is quite ready yet. My DS was TTing at daycare too and they ran toileting to a schedule and took.the kiddies to the toilet regularly just to see if they wanted to go.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely agree with talking to them about it - even the manager - to make it clear that you are toilet training and what you want them to do to help. My sons centre is wonderfully supportive about it, but I made it very clear that I expected him to go to the toilet and even sent about 8 changes of undies/pants for him each day at the beginning. You cant expect training at daycare to go the same as it has at home, because for one thing, the kids get far more distracted with their activities at daycare and forget that they need to go (resulting in more accidents) and I know this is really a bad excuse, but the carers are looking after multiple children at any given time so they dont just have that constant thought of which kid might be in a nappy, especially when they are only just beginning with the toilet training.
    If your daycare has a parent communication book could you write in there what you are doing with regards to training? Or somewhere in the sign in book or something? It might even be worth checking with a centre manager what their process is with regards to toilet training..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first question is what room is he in? And if he does run out of undies they will need to put him back in a nappy, what else are they to do?

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    He had plenty of undies left but I Only sent 5 pants. They always have spares that they put on the kids if they run out. He's 2.5 and in the pre-kindy room. I went in there this afternoon to pick him up ready to talk to someone and he ran to me soaking! Again! I just don't think that's good enough. I ended up breaking down to one of the young girls crying about how it wasn't really ok and how I don't feel I can talk to his carer(one of the many that work there during the week) as I feel like they think I am a pain etc. she assured me it wasn't the case but what else could she say? She says she will pass on my concerns to the centre manager tomorrow but that lady is half the problem! Feel very upset for my little guy. He definitely is ready to TT - just needs the right support at daycare!