+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying not to feed to sleep?

Lately my 3 month old son always wants to be fed to sleep. When he gets up from a nap and I breastfeed him he will eventually reject the breast so I figure he has had enough. But when I try to settle him for sleep again he will usually cry until I offer another feed. And he's not just having a little suck either, he'll drain most of one breast.
    When my husband is home on weekends and he puts bub down to sleep he has no issues. So I don't know if maybe because I smell of milk DS will cry for it but I never used to do this, only when he had a growth spurt.
    Should I be worried that he keeps asking for top ups before a nap? He must be hungry but the fact he doesn't have it all at the same time is frustrating. He doesn't suffer reflux. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds pretty normal he's still so young, I fed my DS to sleep till about 6 months, (stopped that for day sleeps but night sleeps I continued till he was about 10 months)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks, I know heaps of people feed to sleep but i'm just worried he'll never learn to settle on his own if I keep doing that? How did you wean your DS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told at that age it's far too young for them to learn 'bad habits'

With my DS I did comfort settling and he also took a dummy. I'd feed him before his nap if he needed it but put him down awake.

I am at work now so can't go into details right now but comfort settling worked for us as I don't like to let DS cry it out or do controlled crying. Comfort settling is about going in and resettling bub when you feel he needs it. So u are in and out of the room every couple of minutes as apposed to waiting a specific time of say 5,10,15 minutes etc.
    if DS cried I'd go back in straight away, pick him up, settle with a cuddle and soft talking, then put him back down again and then leave the room, just kept repeating it until he got used to the idea. Took about a week for him to learn it was ok if I left the room.

U can also settle them in the cot once they are used to the idea, so after a few times / days if they settle quickly in your arms, u can leave them in the cot and settle there.

Hope I'm explaining that right

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Alira  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is little, he loves his Mummy and the breast comforts him and fills him up. I fed to sleep DD until she was 1yr old. In the end it became little more than a quick cuddle and top up, and gradually I stopped, but it was a nice quiet way to end the day for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried a dummy? Many babies find sucking incredibly soothing and helps them settle into sleep.

I never fed to sleep (unless she was really unsettled), if she was getting drowsy I would take her off the breast and put her down. I used a dummy until 5 months (I got sick of putting it back in at night). At that point she could self settle.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-10-2013 at 14:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried a dummy, he used them for about the first month but then he decided he didn't like dummies or any kind of bottle teat, just mummy I think I will try settling him with a feed and put him down drowsy, thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alira For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (29-10-2013)