+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    The one thing I wasn't expecting is how tired they get. Dd was literally falling asleep st the dinner table in term one. But she soon got use to it.
    Naww poor little poppet. And my friends with school-aged children always say how short the school day is, but it probably seems like forever for little ones!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (29-10-2013),TimeForWine  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the pp - she definitely doesn't need to know how to read before she starts school.
    If there's a couple of things I can suggest, I would say practise cutting with scissors and gluing stuff in a scrapbook. So many kids struggle with this that it makes a teacher's job a heap easier if some kids can handle it by themselves.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (29-10-2013),TimeForWine  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    The one thing I wasn't expecting is how tired they get. Dd was literally falling asleep st the dinner table in term one. But she soon got use to it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    See I was told to expect this... yet im still fighting DS to get him to sleep at night despite he fact that he is up at 5am every single day!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Make sure she can open any food containers including packets that you pack for her.
    If you want to help develop fine motor skills have her thread beads. It helps with handwriting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Wow really? That's interesting and I wonder why that is.
    As a teacher myself I believe it's because people use electronic babysitters (eg tv, iPad etc) and don't take the time to actually SPEAK to their children. I've seen children with terrible expressive language difficulties, mostly who have been parked in front of the tv for years. Awfully sad (

As for the OP I second all the great ideas given and would add to make sure your DD knows to ask for help. If she has a problem or things aren't right , let her know it's ok to ask for help. So many little ones struggle with this.

Good luck

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (29-10-2013),Miados2007  (29-10-2013),TimeForWine  (29-10-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Sounds like she's fine. My DS started prep this year so it's all still fresh for us.

If they know their alphabet and the sounds the letters make, can write their name, ask for help when needed, toilet themselves, do laces if necessary (we buy velcro shoes), count etc then they will be fine. Prep seems to be a lot like kindy with a uniform.

(I still put a spare uniform in DS's school bag in case he had a toilet accident but I think I'm the only Mum that does this.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    See I was told to expect this... yet im still fighting DS to get him to sleep at night despite he fact that he is up at 5am every single day!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Does he fight it cos hes overtired?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    She cuts and glues at daycare and at home so should be fine, i will def tell her she needs to ask for help if she needs it and thanks for the tip re the spare knickers and clothes - im going to do that too just in case.

Im reallly worried how she will go as poor love will need to go into after school care too - which means she wont get picked up till 5.30pm (3 x a week) - as i work part time. Im hoping as she has long day care days already she will be ok - but if she is exhausted and its all too much Im going to have to look at cutting my hours.

Thanks again for all the awesome tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How to make friends, how to wipe her bum, to sit and concentrate for 10 minutes, address and phone number.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    on the school holidays go and play at the school get her familiar with her surroundings.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foreverclucky For This Useful Post:

Jennybaby  (29-10-2013),TimeForWine  (31-10-2013)