+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What should my 5 yo know in before she starts big school.... and any tips.

Hi all,

My big 5 yo starts prep next year. Are there things she really should know??

I THINK she is going to be fine but are there things she really should know?

She can toilet herself / wash hands etc, she is pretty good with opening bags, and lunch boxes etc.

And please dont tell me she is meant to know how to read? Someone mentioned this the other day and i nearly died. She knows her letters and she knows some words start with certain letters etc and she can write her name. Surely thats all she needs to know?? She can write the alphabet - gets some back to front like an E is a 3 but i thought that would be plenty - surely the prep teacher will be teaching her to read and write????

Any other tips / hints etc etc.

Im very excited for her and a bit nervous (not showing her though!)

Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeForWine For This Useful Post:

Amira  (29-10-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    She absolutely doesn't need to know how to read or write! But if she can recognise/write her own name that's a bonus. Academically I wouldn't worry about 'preparing' her - that's the teacher's job. A lot of early schooling is about social stuff and adapting to routine. Some kids really struggle with that, like having to remember a morning procedure, and some kids thrive, but struggle if the routine is thrown off. You might want to do a mini morning routine with her at home so she has a bit of practice.

If it were me, I'd spend lots of time reading to/with her and trying to generate a real excitement about stories, and just talk, talk, talk with her. One thing we are noticing at school is that lots of kids are coming in with very poor oral language. When kids can't express themselves verbally it hinders their ability to learn to read and write, and can result in frustration and poor behaviour ie lashing out at others.

Sorry, I don't know how much help that is!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They don't actually 'need' to know anything, that's what prep is for! There will be some kids who can read but not many and there will be kids who can't write their name.

The basic life skills you mentioned is all they need. Promise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely don't need to know how to read, just basic numbers letters etc. my dd didn't know how to read at all at the start of this year, but she is now reading grade 1-2 level chapter books and is the best reader in her class, which surprised me as like you I was worried that she couldn't even really read short words. Those teachers know what they're doing!
    If they have concerns they will generally give you activities to do at home with your child to help focus on areas they may be having trouble with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for yoru replies ladies :-)

She goes to daycare 3 days a week when i work so she knows routine etc so that might help. And we read every night - she has a billion books and loves to read - tell stories based on pics etc. And her verbal skills are pretty amazing so she will be fine there - she NEVER. EVER. EVERRRRR stops talking. EVER. bahaha I think my ears bleed at times!

I am just going to focus on getting her excited about it then. :-) Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep life skills like opening their own lunch box (knowing which bit is recess and which is for lunch), filling their drink bottle (though the assistant usually helps with this), toileting, knowing when to take their jumper off, laces if they are in lace up shoes etc.

Following instructions and a level of independence is one thing that helps. Practice this at home by getting them to pack a bag for themself each time you go out. Eg. "Go and choose 2 toys to bring and put them in your backpack with your water bottle". Also daily tasks like setting the table (a great opportunity to learn numbers too!).

Don't worry too much about reading/writing etc - unless your child is very interested in this, in which case follow their lead. One great thing you can do with your child though is, as you read their bedtime story, stop along the way and ask open questions like "The koala did what!!?! What did the koala think needed to go into the stew?" it's a fun way to check their comprehension and get them familiar with recounting stories/events.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    She sounds like she is doing great!

My DS1 is in prep at the moment, when he started he could write his name, recognise some letters but not all etc. He was also one of the youngest in the class. Now he is flying, doing so well, at the top of the class for reading and writing. His teacher is amazing!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my son has his interview tomorrow for prep ive already spoken to his principal and she said theres no test or anything like that. All prep is to find out what your childs progress is and to help with subjects they need more progress in to get them ready for primary school she said its a positive thing coz at the end of the day its there to help the child or children learn more and to be ready

from mummy with two cheeky monkey's and one more on the way!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbles89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    Thanks so much for yoru replies ladies :-)

She goes to daycare 3 days a week when i work so she knows routine etc so that might help. And we read every night - she has a billion books and loves to read - tell stories based on pics etc. And her verbal skills are pretty amazing so she will be fine there - she NEVER. EVER. EVERRRRR stops talking. EVER. bahaha I think my ears bleed at times!

I am just going to focus on getting her excited about it then. :-) Thanks again.
    She sounds like my dd who started prep this year. She was also one of the youngest. But she was fine. Dd could write basics and read her own name. The one thing I wasn't expecting is how tired they get. Dd was literally falling asleep st the dinner table in term one. But she soon got use to it. Reading their name I think is very impotent as everthing is labeled.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    If it were me, I'd spend lots of time reading to/with her and trying to generate a real excitement about stories, and just talk, talk, talk with her. One thing we are noticing at school is that lots of kids are coming in with very poor oral language.
    Wow really? That's interesting and I wonder why that is.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post: