+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Travelling to Bali.. What should I do?

So, we are going to Bali in June next year for a wedding. I'm still not decided on whether to take ds who will be 13 months by then. I'm way too scared he will get sick. My parents can look after him while I'm gone, but I will miss him so much would you take a 13 month old to Bali? I get lots of mixed reactions... Some people say no way, other people say yes... I just know of so many adults who get sick & it's so hard to be careful with a kid who wants to touch everything & put everything in their mouth!

What are some nice places to stay & things to do?

Where are the good places to shop?

Would you fly economy or business? My partner wants to fly business class but I just see it as a waste of money.. I would rather spend that money shopping or getting a massage.

Help please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I would take him.

We took DS1 to thailand when he was 15 months. And yup he did get quite sick for a few days. But it was an amazing holiday once he got over it. We're planning a thailand trip for when DS3 is about 14 months old.

Just be as careful as you can, take disinfectant hand stuff and you'll be ok.

Oh and I'd go economy. Not sure how long the flight to bali is but I found the 9 hour trip to thailand pretty easy in economy.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I would take him.

We took DS1 to thailand when he was 15 months. And yup he did get quite sick for a few days. But it was an amazing holiday once he got over it. We're planning a thailand trip for when DS3 is about 14 months old.

Just be as careful as you can, take disinfectant hand stuff and you'll be ok.

What did you do for foods peanut monkey? Did you just take all pre packaged stuff? Were you breast feeding? I'm hoping I am still bfing by that stage.. But I just worry about drinking water, food, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS was still on formula, and was eating the same food we do by then so we just took a tin of formula and the hotel (a 5* hotel) provided unopened bottled water for us for his bottles. With food we just made sure we ate at decent places or in the hotel, we avoided the dodgy looking food places unless DS was being babysat (my entire family were there for a wedding so they babysat him a couple of times for us)

We were unlucky that he got so sick, my brother was there with his daughter at the same time and she didn't get sick at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    My DS was still on formula, and was eating the same food we do by then so we just took a tin of formula and the hotel (a 5* hotel) provided unopened bottled water for us for his bottles. With food we just made sure we ate at decent places or in the hotel, we avoided the dodgy looking food places unless DS was being babysat (my entire family were there for a wedding so they babysat him a couple of times for us)

We were unlucky that he got so sick, my brother was there with his daughter at the same time and she didn't get sick at all.

Did you boil the bottles of water before using it to mix the formula? Yeah we aren't looking at anything less than 4 stars... Do you have any recommendations for accommodation? What kind of things did you do that were 'baby friendly'...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For sure. We took DS at 8m. Trying to plan another trip soon. DSS will be about 12m. Bali is fine. Just use common sense regarding water etc. I love Bali! Been there 4 times. From Darwin the sale flights are less then $200 return. Can't even get to Brissy for that!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 29-10-2013 at 12:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to Bali 15 years ago on a girly holiday....and again last year with nearly 3yo DD and friends who had under 1s, and was pleasantly surprised how much cleaner it was. No issues re food water.
    We stayed in a 4 bed villa with our own staff (cook cleaner security guard) in Seminyak for only $250 a night. Was 2 min walk from restaurants and a big IGA type store that sold all the brand baby foods and nappies you'd recognise, they cost a bit more but you expect that.

I took sterilizing tablets to put in the little kids bath incase they drank the water but didn't use them and no one got sick.

Hired a driver a few times with carseats to travel around and view the sights.

You'll love it...whether you take bub or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't do it with a baby.
    Risk of disease and inadequate health care would be my biggest concerns.

Look up the recommended travel vaccinations for Indonesia and perhaps factor that into your decision (if you are a vaxxer). For example, if you vax you have probably vaxxed your bub against polio, despite the risk in Australia being negligible. Would you be happy vaxxing them for diseases such as typhoid, cholera and rabies which are fairly high risk diseases in Bali?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had any of these vacs for Bali. Neither have my friends and people here go all the time as it's so close. Believe me a cholera outbreak in Bali would be a major deal. The biggest disease to worry about is Hep A. Maybe rabies if you plan on the monkey forest visit but it's not a recommended vax. Most of the vax recommended kids here have anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 29-10-2013 at 12:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my 22 mth old to Malaysia last October and even though it's cleaner we still exercised common sense. Only drank bottled water and ate from proper restaurants. We stayed in 4+ star hotels who give you complimentary bottled water. I'd not waste my money on business class unless it was discounted and only a few hundred more.

I'd definitely take him with you. Get required vax if you decide too. He'll be little still. You'll miss him and you don't want to regret it once you get on that plane. That way u can have a decent holiday and he'll be with you.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app