+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ingrown toe nail???

Dd is 5 weeks old and has an in grown toe nail! She was born with funky toenails but her big toe is staying funky whilst the rest are sorting themselves out! Any tips??

Me + DH = DS and DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try and take her to a podiatrist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if it's the same thing, but my son had weird big toe nails too. They looked kind of 'embedded' in his toe and I wondered how the were ever going to grow past the tip of his toe (which was kind of bulbous). Anyway, they did eventually bust through the skin (there was lots of dead flaky skin and dry pus -very hard not to pick at it!). Can't remember exactly how long it took before that happened but it was a matter of months, not weeks.

Two and a half years later they still look a bit weird (they kind of curl upwards when they need cutting) but feet are gross at the best of times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd had the same problems, weird squished big toe nails, I washed them daily with a cotton bud and breast milk (salt water prob be fine too) and made sure jump suits weren't too tight on her feet. Not much else you can do really, in time they'll get better. Don't cut them down too far or into corners etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm my dd's were the same. She's 9 months now and I haven't actually checked them for months. I think I'll be investigating in the morning. Pretty sure they have started to grow out though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd2 had this. We noticed after giving her a bath. Hers was quite red and some puss came out when I squeezed it. She was already on eye drops for a sticky eye so I used some of the antibiotic drops on her toe. I also sterilized my earring and used the point of it to gently lift the nail and then clippers to trim where it was growing in. I then repeated the drops on her toe every few hours along when her eyes needed doing. It healed in a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS had this from about 5-10 weeks. We were told to just put antiseptic cream on them which we did and they are fine now.