+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Manager "approval" to apply for an internal job at work??

Hi Everyone,Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but just want some general feedback on the topic.At your work (or previous work), did you have to advise your supervisor / get their endorsement for you to apply for another job within the company??Do you agree or disagree with this practice??What were the reasons given for this being the process?? (i.e. - you'd never be expected to tell your supervisor you were looking for a job outside of the company, so why have to tell them when applying within the company??Thanks for your help!!!AC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, definitely have net needed approval. Of course they find out fairly quickly, but most places I have worked encourage you to apply for internal positions. They certainly can't stop you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummm, is that actually in your policies and procedures or something made up by the supervisor? What a load of cr^p.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's like that at my work too (unless we work at the same place 😯).

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's the same at my work too. We need formal approval before applying for anything. Normally, the "new" supervisor won't consider someone who hasn't spoken to their current one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't work ATM, but at two places I've worked before, you definitely had to get approval. Your current line manager had to fill in a section on your application.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are advised to discuss it with our manager if applying for internal roles, but it isn't mandatory. They like to focus on development & if you have an interest in another area then can maybe help getting you there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How weird! Why would you need their approval? What's it got to do with them? Isn't it a breech of privacy? I'd check your hr policies and if it stipulates that then u have to. But still how weird.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was a part of the application for an internal position at every company I've worked for. I believe the reason is to provide you with feedback (do they think the role is suitable, how can they help develop your skills etc), not to hold you back. Usually they can't actually stop you from applying, but may not endorse your application if you aren't meeting KPI's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I know in companies like coles and woolies you need your manager to sign off.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app