+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Who has a yogurt maker?

Does it work out a lot cheaper then buying yogurt? And does it have less additives and sugar in it? I'm trying to cut weekly cost so thinking of investing in one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I got one. Lovely yoghurt. Costs me about $3 a kg of yoghurt and some people know DIY recipes which cost basically nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got an esiyo one. Think it was about $22 and I only make Greek yoghurt which I get 3 pks for $10 so about $3.30/kg. the only ingredients in it are milk powder (think whole and skim) and cultures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got one but I don't use it much. I usually take yoghurt to work every day but I found that by the time I got half-way through the batch it was all watery. It ended up like a gluggy 'milkshake' type thing. Tried decanting it into small tubs straight after it was made but the same thing happened if they were left in the fridge for a couple of days.

We washed the container properly every time as per the instructions & followed the receipes properly - it still did it.

So in the end we just gave up & went back to buying yoghurt - depending on expiry date I can buy that once a week or once a fortnight & it lasts properly. And I don't have watery yoghurt for the second half of the week. So in the end it costs us less money to buy yoghurt than it does to throw half of the home-made stuff away.
    Last edited by heartstringz; 28-10-2013 at 17:25.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I make yogurt in my thermomix. It works out so so so cheap. Id imagine it would be the same with a yogurt maker.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    I make yogurt in my thermomix. It works out so so so cheap. Id imagine it would be the same with a yogurt maker.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.
    Do you have a DIY recipe you could share please? Thinking I might invest in one as my kids eat it every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a yoghurt maker from Coles recently, it's so easy, I've only made one batch but I didn't like it. Basically it used a packet mix and water ( so cultures etc plus flavours) I just don't like all the added flavours etc so in trying to find a nice recipe where I don't use a packet (apart from maybe the cultures)

I'd like vanilla recipe or coconut. I haven't looked on google yet, im sure I could find a recipe on there