+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Diagnosing dairy intolerance advice dd 8weeks

I'm starting to wonder if dd has a diary intolerance. Here is our background.

Couldn't eat cheese when pregnant. Would develop a sunburn type of rash all over my body.

DD gets reflux and colic and is on Zantac and infacol. She has had medication for about 2-3 weeks.

Have only just reintroduced cheese in the past few days and she is quite unsettled.

Noticed over the past week she is grunting a lot. Really really loudly it wakes my dh. It mostly happens at night.

I don't consume much dairy but do have a milk coffee every day. Sometimes ice cream at night. Other than that, not much else that has dairy.

I notice her poos are sometimes slightly green tinged and seem to have mucous similar to ewcm and it makes a stringy bits that stick to the nappy and her bum when I lift her up to wipe. If that makes sense!

Does this sound like dairy allergy or intollerance? She is breastfeed and think I will try elimination diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    elimination diet is your best way to find out. It is best to go off dairy completely for 2 to 3 weeks. There is alot of hidden dairy, drinks, bread, biscuits, dips...

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - yeah I think it's going to be the only way. Does your child have an intolerance? Can you tell by the poo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 are older now, but both had intolerances to dairy in my diet. I think DS is also intolerant to something else, but having difficulty working out what it is.

I can't actually remember what the poo was like, but he had upset gut and later skin when exposed to dairy.

He became more tolerant to dairy in my diet as he got older, but couldn't handle it directly. He is 20 months now.

My daughter grew out of it earlier, and was ok with dairy by 12 months.

i didn't find alot of support from health professionals, and had to work through it on my own. There is a great lactation consultant and dietician in Perth (Joy Anderson) who gives advice on allergies and intolerances, but at the time we couldn't afford it.

I kept breastfeeding my kids until recently, and sometimes i gave in to my cravings of chocolate or milk and just coped with the effects. But in the initial period, i really tried to cut out all dairy so i could see if that was the cause.

good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds allot like dairy intolerance especially the mucous poos. Try eliminating dairy all together as PP suggested however my paediatrician advised that lactose is never completely absent from Breast milk as it is produced naturally even if its not in the diet.

Although allot of babies do much better just with the elimination - only the serious ones may require further intervention. My 11 week dd was unfortunately one of these and had to go on a prescription formula and is doing much better.

Dot worry if it does turn out to be dairy - paediatrician says in many cases they outgrow it by the time they are toddlers

Hope you bubba is feelig better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. We had another terrible night and off to the gp today. I am wondering if we need to go on losec now too. I don't think Zantac is doing much. She covered me in vomit so many times yesterday and this morning. She is exhausted and so am I. She is asleep now after I just gave her Zantac so it certainly is helping directly after she has it but seems to wear off.

I noticed her poo is back to looking brown so that marks 24 hours since I last had dairy. Having my morning decaf coffee on almond milk today. Can't say it's very nice but will do whatever it takes for my little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds who is 16 weeks is very dairy intolerant and also egg. I've eliminated both out of my diet which is really hard. But now without medication I've a very happy baby. But the moment dairy passes my lips he screams and writhes in a lot of pain. He has stringy mucous poo and the it becomes like foam if I've had more than just a mouthful. When it becomes like foam it also burns his bum taking a layer of skin. He also develops reflux with projectile vomiting. So long story short no dairy no eggs and I've a peaceful happy baby. It's hard as you have to read all packaging for milk solids. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and it takes a few days to finally work out of my system till it's worked out of his. I have almond milk but only in cereal. I like it in my muesli. I have black tea and coffee now but it's ok as a treat I have when out a shot of either caramel or hazelnut in it. Tastes great. To make custard I use coconut milk. Really tastes yummy. Those are a few things I do to get by and not feel like I'm missing out. Hope this helps

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Msbecb For This Useful Post:

nicole83  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 is sensitive to dairy and wheat.
    The dairy made her reflux worse so I went dairy and soy free from 2 weeks (if there is an issue with dairy there is a 50% chance if there being an issue with soy too). Her poos were like what you described.

At 5 months I have just tried introducing dairy and wheat and she had her first eczema flare up. So j have to go back to elim and then introduce one at a time.

Check ALL your labels because dairy is in so, so, so many things.

And when you want to reintroduce try A2 milk in your diet first.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013

11. The Following User Says Thank You to giveitago For This Useful Post:

nicole83  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice thanks ladies. Anyone else with awesome tips keep them coming. This is going to be a huge change for me as my diet was mostly fruit, veg, wheat and dairy.