+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    vile

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe that particular one "remembered" poo

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-10-2013),Renn  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    No.

Or maybe the better way of saying it is i think they sometimes "make" science fit the preferred theory without looking at the evidence objectively- popularity and money are involved after all. I think some scientists put their own true feelings /opinions aside and bow to popular opinion.
    That's why one of the fundamentals of science is that is testable and repeatable.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-10-2013),risfaerie  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    That particular paper did not review the same condition from the report that I posted. I'd like to see more info re the one I posted rather than write it off altogether
    Fibromyalgia is a difficult one and it's one of the reasons I am sceptical of the study you posted.
    It's a syndrome that is difficult to diagnose as there is no definitive test. The symptoms (widespread pain. strong pain in certain trigger areas, fatigue etc) can come and go. That study didn't seem to address that.

Also this is worth a quick look- the study you posted is listed in the references.
    http://link.springer.com/article/10....067-009-1361-2
    For the non clickers:
    Abstract
    Homoeopathy is often advocated for fibromyalgia (FM) and many FM patients use it. To critically evaluate all randomised clinical trials (RCTs) of homoeopathy as a treatment for FM, six electronic databases were searched to identify all relevant studies. Data extraction and the assessment of the methodological quality of all included studies were done by two independent reviewers. Four RCTs were found, including two feasibility studies. Three studies were placebo-controlled. None of the trials was without serious flaws. Invariably, their results suggested that homoeopathy was better than the control interventions in alleviating the symptoms of FM. Independent replications are missing. Even though all RCTs suggested results that favour homoeopathy, important caveats exist. Therefore, the effectiveness of homoeopathy as a symptomatic treatment for FM remains unproven.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-10-2013),Renn  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Fibromyalgia is a difficult one and it's one of the reasons I am sceptical of the study you posted.
    It's a syndrome that is difficult to diagnose as there is no definitive test. The symptoms (widespread pain. strong pain in certain trigger areas, fatigue etc) can come and go. That study didn't seem to address that.

Also this is worth a quick look- the study you posted is listed in the references.
    http://link.springer.com/article/10....067-009-1361-2
    For the non clickers:
    Abstract
    Homoeopathy is often advocated for fibromyalgia (FM) and many FM patients use it. To critically evaluate all randomised clinical trials (RCTs) of homoeopathy as a treatment for FM, six electronic databases were searched to identify all relevant studies. Data extraction and the assessment of the methodological quality of all included studies were done by two independent reviewers. Four RCTs were found, including two feasibility studies. Three studies were placebo-controlled. None of the trials was without serious flaws. Invariably, their results suggested that homoeopathy was better than the control interventions in alleviating the symptoms of FM. Independent replications are missing. Even though all RCTs suggested results that favour homoeopathy, important caveats exist. Therefore, the effectiveness of homoeopathy as a symptomatic treatment for FM remains unproven.
    thank you. I'll have a look when I get to a computer and get out of my smelly/sweaty clothes. I do not advocate for homeopathy but do keep an open mind. I have quite a few other documents that seem to conclude some positive findings re homeopathy. I do not take them as gospel, but also do not take the ones which were inconclusive as gospel either. I am seriously someone who is willing to try new things, for minor ailments, without needing hard and fast evidence. If I had tried western medicine and it wasn't working for me, you bet I would try alternatives.

i am also a believer of like healing like. My understanding is this is how vaccinations came about -- cowpox-smallpox -- and I try to not rule anything out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    That's why one of the fundamentals of science is that is testable and repeatable.
    Still doesnt mean its correct tho. Thats why findings change, even after being tested and repeated and held up as proven for sometimes a long time. We arent as smart as we think we are (the human race)

Science IS biased in certain areas without a doubt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a scientist so yes.
    I am a chemist which is proof based science where physics is theory based science.

If its been hypothesised, tested, peer reviewed and generally accepted by the scientific community then yes.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Nor why they don't do it to alcohol... There's a fortune to be made there!
    No! That would cure us all of our wine addictions wouldn't it? Lol. Bottle shops would go bust!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-10-2013),beebs  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dunno my friends a scientist... And can't get a job. Not very scientific

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re homeopathy... I'm not a scientist, but I do believe I know enough about the world to draw my own conclusions about certain simple things. If scientific research did not back up my own "common sense" then I would accept that. But it just so happens that scientific research *does* back up what I also just figure must be true... That water shaken in a certain way cannot be therapeutic. It's water. It's WATER!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-10-2013),beebs  (29-10-2013),Busy-Bee  (29-10-2013)