+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do I believe everything science "proves"? I find the wording of this pretty odd.

One of the things I like about science is that it admits when it is wrong. Research is ongoing, evolving. What was considered best practice ten years ago may not be considered best practice today.

I trust treatments that are prepared to be subjected to research. Generally when something is open to research, it is also open to change and improvement. There are plenty of treatments, both modern and alternative, that are well-researched and have results that indicate that they are useful to the user. I include things like Yoga and meditation into this category. They are ancient practices, which have time and time again been found to have positive effects on the human body.

It is less what science "proves" that concerns me, and more what it does not "prove". Thousands of peer reviewed studies have found homeopathy to be completely ineffective. Things like amber teething necklaces literally go against the laws of science; it is physically impossible for them to do what they are claimed to do. Ingredients that anti-vaxxers claim harm children in vaccines are not even in the vaccines. There is no evidence to back the claims of the people who claim that these things work.

I honestly would prefer to use a treatment supported by research and science, that is evolving and improving over time. I cannot understand intentionally disregarding the hard work of thousands of well educated health professionals in favour of purchasing overpriced water that has been bashed on a table three times by a person who did an online Diploma from the college of natural therapies that took 2 years and is in a subject that has no reliable research to back it up.

The majority of people who spend years, decades of their lives studying and researching medical treatments are not trying to pull the wool over your eyes. They are genuinely interested in making your life healthier and happier. They devote their entire career to developing treatments that improve your quality of life. I would prefer to put my trust in them, and their research, than the opinions of a snake oil salesperson.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-10-2013),lambjam  (28-10-2013),Mathermy  (28-10-2013),MrJones&Me  (28-10-2013),Renn  (29-10-2013),Witwicky  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Exactly this! It is constantly evolving and changing as we learn more. We can only do what we can with the best info we have. Yes, sometimes science has been wrong. That is no reason to discount all science!
    I've just woken from a nap so haven't read all the replies, but I will point out that I nowhere in my post said I don't believe in science and all my views are my opinion. What I meant in my OP was that sometimes your experiences do say science is wrong for your specific situation, for eg some people having homeopathic remedies work for them when nothing else did, and not being a placebo.

My post also was not directed at you specifically, your reply in the other thread is just one of many I've seen on BH arguing scientific fact and its a question I've had on my mind for a long time so brought it up.

I'm not at all saying science is wrong and that I don't believe the studies or facts, I'm simply saying that there have been and will always be cases where science is proved wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's been peer reviewed and replicated then yes. You can find a study to support any idea you have , its the review process of the studies that counts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-10-2013),Renn  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Admittedly I'm not great at reading findings, but I dare say there is more than one scientific researcher who had positive findings re homeopathy

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.o...5/577.full.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    sometimes your experiences do say science is wrong for your specific situation, for eg some people having homeopathic remedies work for them when nothing else did, and not being a placebo.
    g.
    This is the thing I'm getting at- the homeopathic remedies DONT work- this is proven- they are just water- they have a placebo effect for some, but that is all. People may attribute a recovery to such a remedy but it's just not the case- science HAS proven this. It's what I said before - correlation is not the same as causation

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Renn  (29-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha I'm a scientist (well, in training - halfway through my PhD) so came charging into this thread all ready to explain and defend the scientific method but everything has been very well said already!

Good science, scientists are always willing to be proved wrong, we're taught to have "healthy skepticism" and always keep looking for more evidence one way or the other. But sometimes the evidence is so overwhelming it's pretty safe to say it's fact.

Sadly, scientists are human too and can be corrupted by egos, money, power, general laziness, so while trusting in science is generally a pretty smart move, of course it's not perfect 100% of the time.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-10-2013),Atropos  (28-10-2013),beebs  (28-10-2013),Benji  (28-10-2013),lambjam  (28-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (28-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post

Good science, scientists are always willing to be proved wrong, we're taught to have "healthy skepticism" and always keep looking for more evidence one way or the other. But sometimes the evidence is so overwhelming it's pretty safe to say it's fact.
    This is how I've always perceived scientists. Reading/viewing conversations between them I have never really heard "you're flat out wrong. Look at this paper".

As a teenager I was a little weird. I didn't have posters of Johnny Depp, I was a David Suzuki kinda girl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmmn, some things in science are absolute, such as the speed of light. If you do not agree, plz insert mathematical proof here

Thanks
    Reviews

Sadly, scientists are human too and can be corrupted by egos, money, power, general laziness, so while trusting in science is generally a pretty smart move, of course it's not perfect 100% of the time.
    This is another thing at the back of my mind.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Happily chiropractors, homeopaths, and all peddlers of snake oil are equally susceptible to those same traits. So we can safely consider the moral playing field levelled

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-10-2013),beebs  (28-10-2013),delirium  (28-10-2013),Kaybaby  (31-10-2013),Renn  (29-10-2013)