+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    I'm watching House Season 5 on DVD at the moment (have the entire set, but only up to S4 ep7) and it's interesting seeing the doctor feeling so good even though she's receiving the placebo drug.
    Ah, House. It's alway lupus or sarcoidosis with that guy!
    Yeah there is lots of evidence to show placebos can assist someone to feel better. They aren't entirely sure why. From what I gather. They can help a person feel better but they don't actually treat the illness- just the symptom. The human mind is a wonderful thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Ah, House. It's alway lupus or sarcoidosis with that guy!
    Yeah there is lots of evidence to show placebos can assist someone to feel better. They aren't entirely sure why. From what I gather. They can help a person feel better but they don't actually treat the illness- just the symptom. The human mind is a wonderful thing!
    Ah yes. Kinda of like ive seen some amazing results through hypnotherapy. Then ive seen it not work as well. The mind is a very powerful thing and not to be under estimated.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-11-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I assume it's along the same lines as people who fall ill after having the bone pointed at them or pins stuck in their effigy? Mind over matter and all that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Placebos CAN work, but they are not effective for everyone or every condition/symptom.
    The mechanism by which homeopathy is supposed to work - the whole, 'water has a memory if you tap it this way' thing- I think we can safely say that if water could remember the one diluted ingredient a homeopath added, it would remember all the other things that had been in it, which would potentially make the remedy do many other things than it was intended- yet they don't.
    As much as I'm a skeptic, I also wouldn't want to mess with anything like pointing the bone, for some reason, despite having no belief in it, that kind of thing scares the crap out of me. Same with things like ouija boards and things like that. I don't believe it, but wouldn't test that out either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    As much as I'm a skeptic, I also wouldn't want to mess with anything like pointing the bone, for some reason, despite having no belief in it, that kind of thing scares the crap out of me. Same with things like ouija boards and things like that. I don't believe it, but wouldn't test that out either.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of just in case!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (05-11-2013)