+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulfairy View Post
    Dh believes everything on facebook that says "scientifically proven" and recites random bollocks to me all.the.time. Stuff that makes no sense and can't possibly be true. Drives me crazy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Heh, we used to have a housemate who did the same thing - he was a marketer's dream!

Here's a good tip... anything that claims "scientifically proven" is almost certainly not. As I said earlier, science never proves anything... it fails to disprove. "Scientifically proven" is mostly used by marketers, and sometimes by the media more generally.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To answer this question directly (eg. in the context of how science is quoted in Bubhub) I note that often it's a case of the person not being able to read a scientific paper or comprehend the language used.

I know I didn't. But I'm married to a scientist and he has since changed my ways. LOL. But even still, unless I'm speaking with an audience of similar minds, I won't refer to scientific studies to back up a point as I find that 99.9% of the time it's misunderstood or not understood at all.

There are a lot of claims in here that use what I term as "poor science" to back up their claims. I don't go near them. No point. Just turns into a sheetfight.

This is not a negative criticism as such but it is frustrating and annoying that some Hubbers will rely on material they don't understand to complete their arguments.

So for me it's not so much a matter of believing everything that science proves but learning to ignore those with no scientific education who use science as a crutch.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I also don't believe in anything that science or common sense cannot prove / or fails to disprove.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    To answer this question directly (eg. in the context of how science is quoted in Bubhub) I note that often it's a case of the person not being able to read a scientific paper or comprehend the language used.

I know I didn't. But I'm married to a scientist and he has since changed my ways. LOL. But even still, unless I'm speaking with an audience of similar minds, I won't refer to scientific studies to back up a point as I find that 99.9% of the time it's misunderstood or not understood at all.

There are a lot of claims in here that use what I term as "poor science" to back up their claims. I don't go near them. No point. Just turns into a sheetfight.

This is not a negative criticism as such but it is frustrating and annoying that some Hubbers will rely on material they don't understand to complete their arguments.

So for me it's not so much a matter of believing everything that science proves but learning to ignore those with no scientific education who use science as a crutch.
    I don't know that a scientific education
    Is always required. Take vaccines for example- I can read studies and follow the outcomes and interpret data that shows vaccines are safe and effective for the vast majority. Backing me up, the govt endorses, recommends and pays for said vaccines. I don't need a degree to tell me that logic states the govt acts in recommendations of people qualified to do so. So I'm pretty confident in that one.
    I think it's certainly true that some studies are well out of my scope- others are not. It's a bit rough to assume that someone without a degree is completely incapable of understanding scientific findings.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-11-2013),Busy-Bee  (31-10-2013),harvs  (31-10-2013),Miados2007  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you have misunderstood my post, Atropos.

To have an education or to be educated about something does not mean one has to have partaken in formal education. The assumption that someone requires a degree to be able to read a scientific paper is purely yours, not mine.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

To have an education or to be educated about something does not mean one has to have partaken in formal education. The assumption that someone requires a degree to be able to read a scientific paper is purely yours, not mine.
    I interpreted (or misinterpreted!) your post in the same way, then. Could you clarify what you mean by a scientific education? I took it in the context of you being married to a scientist, whom I presume is a qualified scientist, and that the 'people with similar minds' you mentioned were scientists also. Then I made the leap to scientific education from there :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Right, so what do you then define as a scientific education?? Because that is how you termed it which sounded to me as if you were referring to someone with, yanno, a formal education. Are you saying you include self-education?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm reading a great book related to this discussion - "Bad Pharma" - Ben Goldacre. Apparently peer reviewed studies aren't painting the whole picture of research. I had no idea companies could sanction say, 7 studies on the one subject and choose to only have, for example, the 2 positive results published, and disappear away the 5 negative... shows me a whole new side to accessible scientific research. Absolutely recommend this read to anyone with the time and inclination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ben Goldacre also wrote a great book called "Bad Science". Definitely recommend that one too!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (01-11-2013),Busy-Bee  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Placebos CAN work, but they are not effective for everyone or every condition/symptom.
    The mechanism by which homeopathy is supposed to work - the whole, 'water has a memory if you tap it this way' thing- I think we can safely say that if water could remember the one diluted ingredient a homeopath added, it would remember all the other things that had been in it, which would potentially make the remedy do many other things than it was intended- yet they don't.
    I'm watching House Season 5 on DVD at the moment (have the entire set, but only up to S4 ep7) and it's interesting seeing the doctor feeling so good even though she's receiving the placebo drug.