+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who looks after your children on school holidays??

Hi everyone, I don't post much here, but am having a bit of a dilemma. I am considering going back to study after the birth of my 2nd baby, either community services or education support. I would prefer to do community services because it interests me more, but then I suddenly thought what would I do with the kids on school holidays?? (my first will be in prep in 2015). I don't think id be happy with vacation care for all of the holidays, my hubby works 6am to 2:30 mon to Friday and only has holidays at xmas.. So what do you mummys do with your children? I have family around but really don't want to rely on them so much and especially when in the future they could possibly not be living so close.. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids are too young but when younger we did family / vacation care / parents took a week off each. You can do a variety of all of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm dreading this. We have no family over here to help so will need to budget for a nanny or something for at least 8 weeks a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've always used vacation care. The kids enjoy it. They go on excursions to the movies, bowling, farms, etc.. as well as have party days, video game days, sports days, etc.. back at the school.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest goes to vacation care. She really enjoys it as they have a great program (movie days, excursions, craft, science day etc). Last holidays she didn't want to go back to school because she enjoyed vacation care so much!

The hours are the same as daycare and after the ccb and ccr it's quite cheap.

Some schools run a vacation care program (the local catholic school has a vacation care program, which is also open to children who don't attend the school).

The other ones in my area are run by the council, and are usually staffed by teachers from the local schools or casual teachers.

We don't have family nearby, but I know quite a few families whose relatives help out during school holidays and each parent takes some leave to cover the rest of the holidays.

ETA: I also just wanted to add that if you'd prefer to study community services instead of education support, I think you should go for it. You may end up working for a great employer who is flexible with your working arrangements or you may find a position where you work afternoons/evenings and weekends.
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 28-10-2013 at 09:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds is in shared care, so I'm already down to less than half school holidays to begin with. I have applied to have each of my weeks off work over a year in advance. Whatever i don't get approved for will be a combination of family, friends, vacation care depending on availability. I come unstuck if fob doesn't take him though... =/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm a school teacher, so very lucky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a deal with my SIL. For every hols I take one week off (or hubby) and we mind the collective group of kids and then the other week SIL and hubby get them.

For the Xmas break I intend on packing my brood over to nanna (MIL) for a week, my mum for a week, SIL and then Dh and I will deal with the rest.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A combination of hanging out with family members and vacation care. Last school hols DD went to Queensland to stay with her grandma. Other times she spends a few days with my sister (a teacher so gets the same hols), her grandparents, and goes to the vacation care days that sound extra fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sent from my HTC One XL using The Bub Hub mobile app