+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help needed!! When booking an overseas holiday ...

Where do I start?? My friend and I want to head overseas - somewhere cheap like Fiji/Bali etc. can you well travelled folk throw a few suggestions my way as to a destination and how to go about it.

Should I go with flight centre or is there a better way of going about it. This is all new to me so I feel a bit lost ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try scoot.com or airasia.com.au or webjet . Keep an eye on those and cheap flight sales come up all the time. Thailand or Malaysia are good choices too as good and accommodation is so cheap. Try booking.com for hotels, there's heaps more but that will get you started.
    Internal flights eg Bangkok to Koh Samui are cheap and a good way to see a city and a beach.
    Lastly- trip advisor is awesome.
    Have fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Flight centre is not the best travel agency, they actually haven't travelled! You want a travel agent that's actually travelled. I always thought travel agents were redundant in the age of the Internet but I've been proven wrong. I was booking my OS holiday using the net and it was pricey, my friend is a travel agent and with an hours work saved me over $1000, they know a few tricks.

However you can do it yourself. Trip advisor is a good spot to start. Read reviews and work out where you do/don't want to stay, get alone prices from the links on trip advisor (Expedia etc), then look up flights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love holidays...who doesn't
    If you are going somewhere you haven't been before I recommend asking an agent for their ideas, then looking on tripadvisor website to see what actual travellers have to say about location/resort etc.
    you'll need to narrow it down a bit though. Do you want relaxing/remote or party central etc or a bit of both.

Happy planning!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you choose Fiji I can probably help with some ideas, I've been there 9 times and lived there 6 months. Depends what you're after Rom your holiday. Do you want a drunken party holiday? Relaxation? Live like a local? There's lots of options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can go about it a few different ways. We have just booked a holiday to Bali travelling in 5 weeks. Jetstar had a sale on airfares - they were dirt cheap so I booked the return airfares myself online through jetstar. I then just googled hotels in Bali and the ones I liked I short listed and then researched them on trip advisor. We have now booked 10 nights accomodation directly through the hotel. We have essentially cut out the middle man (travel agent) and saved bucket loads (well over $1k). Alternatively you can see a travel agent, pays to shop around though. When we were looking for a destination we were torn between Bali and Fiji, I found a great website who offer some amazing packages for fiji - most are all inclusive and exceptionally priced. myfiji.com.au very good helpful service and also get a very good wrap on trip advisor. We nearly booked one of the fiji packages but then Jetstar went and ripped out the amazingly cheap airfares to Bali. We are planning on booking Fiji through myfiji next year however as I could not find a better deal anywhere!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lovelymum - myfiji is definitely the go to place for package deals for the bigger resorts. Unless they have specials through scoopon (which some of them sometimes do) myfiji is by far the cheapest place for booking your accommodation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agreed, I was pretty much blown away by their prices. The only reason we are going to bali is because I was a bit worried fiji would not be "busy" enough for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've travelled a fair bit- with and without children. I know hubbers too are really experienced. Why not start off here telling us what sort of holiday you want and then narrow it down to a country. Those with experience and knowledge can help you plan. There are awesome deals to be had, great websites to look at etc. How old are the kids? What do you want to see/do? What would the kids like? Whats the most important thing? What's your daily budget? Forget flight centre, travel with bubhub tours!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (28-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehe love it "BubHub Tours"!!!
    I never use travel agents as I've never found a deal as good as what I can book myself..... In fact I organise most of my friends and families holidays for them BUT I love doing it so if you don't fancy hours of trip adviser then the agent may just be the thing for you.
    However BubHub tours does sound interesting so give us some more details!