+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. I have a Janome sewing machine and overlocker.

That deal is **** hot. The machine in it is intermediate and an overlocker is not for beginners (but you can learn) but the two of them together for $700 is a good deal. Janome is a reliable brand too. From memory, I paid around $400 for my overlocker alone and $400 for my sewing machine which I think is a few models down from the one in the deal.

If you are a first timer, find a local sewing shop (there are plenty of Janome agents around) and see if you can't get into a regular sewing class. Most shops have them and they're a great way to learn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an elna with all of the bells and whistles which was a present from my mum and she spent $800 odd dollars on it, a year on and my hubby had to replace it because it broke down.

I've now got the singer 150 limited edition machine, not only is it stunning on looks but it's great for a beginner also plus as an extra bonus we got it on sale from spotlight for $400 down from $700!

This is my machine! (Can you tell i'm just a little bit in love?)
    1277984_10201579392234064_868753540_o.jpg

Good luck with your hunt for a machine! Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Lost In The Fifties~; 26-10-2013 at 21:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never ever thy a brother, in my opinion! I'm a pretty advanced sewer (sew-er, not sewer pipe lol) and could never get my mid-range brother to work properly ad ay in its life. I sent it back for repairs under warranty twice and still no luck, then they told me that the couldn't find the problem so 'sorry, nothing more we can do...'. Completely unacceptable! So I've now got a $900 Elna and it is a dream to sew with. It's actually pretty basic in terms of features and functions and isn't very electronic, but it's a great solid machine that has metal parts rather than plastic. I agree with pp:
    Speed control
    Automatic buttonhole
    Mine has a button to drop/raise needle instead of having to wind the wheel at a corner or at the end of sewing - it's been a great feature and makes threading the bobbin, turning corners and finishing sewing really easy
    Automatic needle threader
    Minimise the electronic features too - just more stuff to go wrong

I also agree that an overlocker is a must! Mine is pretty old so has minimal features, but I would recommend one that is relatively easy to change stitch width and length, the differential feed and to change from 4 to 3 thread stitch. They are the things I have the most trouble with in my machine that I wish was easier.

Hope this helps and happy sewing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had to say good-bye to my 27yr old Elna last year (it was a sad day...) and bought a Janome.
    Great machine. Admittedly it doesn't feel as solid as my old all metal Elna, but I've been really happy with it.
    I recently finished my first ever quilt with it. ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1382788251.355956.jpg
    That seems like a great deal- and it's always handy to have an overlocker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a basic Toyota machine from Spotlight - do not get one they are crap!!!!! I'm currently borrowing my mums Janome at the moment it's a basic model but good. Id love a Bernina but they are expensive so will probably go Janome. I teach some textiles classes in high schools - they all use either older model Berninas and Janomes - the kids thrash them but they hold up well with regular servicing.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I have a basic/mid level Janome and a Janome basic overlocker btw - and they are fantastic.

I have made some really impressive things on them ... including DD's christening dress which I made out of my wedding dress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a singer traditional. It's good, easy to use. I think it was about $300

Thanks
    Reviews
    @lambjam If you are still looking there is a nice singer seeing machine on the catch if the day website at the moment. It's at a really good price too