+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sewing machine recommendations please!

I'm a complete beginner so need something that's simple to use, but I also don't want to find myself wanting to replace it in a few years if I find myself sewing a fair bit. So something suitable for beginner-intermediate, solid and reliable, maximum $700.

Go!

(What do people "in the know" think of this deal?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like a good deal it has heaps of features - although I can't see anywhere about warranty. You might want to check that out and if you can get one (or even an extended one at a good price) it might be recommended. An overlocker is such a great gadget, your garments look so much more finished and you will be more inclined to continue. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bought Janome machines when I was finally utd the first time. My machine has been great, but is a little more than what you're looking at - but in saying that I haven't used half the gadgets either - so $700 would probably get you something decent without the bells and whistles you don't need. Would definitely recommend the overlocker too. Sometimes places do packages or discounts. Automatic button holes are the bomb! Pity they didn't clip them for you too.

Ultimately an industrial machine would be fantastic, but I can't justify the money. I've sewed so many curtains and upholstory type things that the extra strength would be great.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently bought that machine and love it. I got it at a different special $499 I think. There is a better model, think its 3160qdc that my sister (who also bought the 2160 as a spare/for her daughter) wishes she got, it had extendable table, 1/4 inch foot (needed for quilting) some feature that cuts the thread, hard case and a few others I think. Might if been around $700.

Most of the reason I got a janome was that I could get it serviced locally (my sister has to send one of hers 5 hrs away to get serviced). I would recommend you buy it from a sewing place as opposed to online cause if you have any problems it can get fixed easily and quickly.

Edit - Also I was a complete beginner this year, did a quilt class with my mums cheap brother, then bought the janome and it's soo much better. If you co to a sewing place you can try a few out and see what you feel comfortable with.
    Last edited by Mopoke; 26-10-2013 at 19:11.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-10-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    A key feature to look for would be speed control. The sewing machine I had before the one I have now is very old and it had 2 speeds, sprint and stop. Look for things like ease of threading the machine and if you can wind thread onto bobbins without having to de-thread the entire machine.

An auto button hole feature is always a bonus.

Having said that, I have a wizz-bang sewing machine now (it cost over $1k), the one I had before that was old, rickety and dangerous (my Mum and I shared it and we had it from about 1985 until about 5 years ago). The machine I had before that was the one I learnt to sew on and it was an antique treadle machine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-10-2013)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    to be totally honest, for a complete beginner, I would advise the most basic model.

Get a model that is
    - simple to thread
    - has basic stitches and stretch stitches
    - has a one step butttonhole gadget
    - buy some extra foot options to do extra things

and spend the extra money on an overlocker, and some lessons. You will get WAY more use out of it that way.

An an overlocker is awesome.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely love my elna sew fun! Simple but has never let me down and super cheap from spotlight. Great for beginners.

http://www.elna.com/en-au/model_sewing_sew-fun.php

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post

and spend the extra money on an overlocker, and some lessons. You will get WAY more use out of it that way.

An an overlocker is awesome.
    oh I would so go with you to overlocker lessons lambjam. I really, really want one (to make my own shorts lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I strongly recommend having a look into the Brother models available. I have a cheapy and it's great. You could get something pretty impressive for your budget I'd imagine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.