+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wriggler's healing VBAC

*pregnancy diary here -http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...!**&highlight=

(Apologies - its a bit long!!)

Background info: DD was born in 2009 via c-section. I went in to labor at 39+2 and labored well at home for 4 hours. Being a first time Mum-to-be I was very unsure about what to do, so as contractions got stronger and were 4mins apart I rang the hospital and they told me to go straight in, which we did. And thats when it all changed... I progressed quickly and the midwife asked me if I wanted an epidural. I said no. She then said to me if I didnt call for it now, I wouldnt get it as they were struggling to get anaethatists available that day, as none are based at the hospital. Not knowing how far along I was or how much worse it might get, I said to get the epidural as after talking to her I felt scared it would become too much. The anaethatist arrived an hour and a half after arriving at hospital and I was already 8cm. Epidural in, I was confined to bed. And thats when it all went pear-shaped.

I dialated to 9cm and the middies called the OB thinking I would be ready to push soon. When the OB arrived I was 9 1/2cm, with an anterior cervical lip. I was told not to push, despite having the strongest urge. It was 1pm. They topped up the epi and told me to wait 1 hour, in the hopes the I would be ready then. Each hour they checked, the same answer - no dont push, wait another hour and topped up the epi again. No other suggestions given. By late in the afternoon DD was becoming distressed, the cervical lip was swollen and DDs head was swelling too. I was becoming very unwell, continuously vomiting and in massive amounts of pain despite the epidural (it had hit a nerve in my back). The OB decided to do a c-section. The actual c-section was a great experience despite everything, and once they managed to get me numbed up and stopped the vomiting (I vomited all the way to theatre) I enjoyed seeing DD come in to the world. Once she arrived I wasn''t able to hold her. I was whisked off to recovery and she was taken back to the ward with DH where the middie proceeded to bath her. By the time I returned to my room over an hour later she had already had her first bath and was dressed, I had missed it all

The OB said after she was concerned that I might have CPD as I am quite small, but she would support a VBAC attempt in the future if I felt I wanted to attempt one. Since having DD I have always been thankful that she arrived safely, but couldnt help but feel that the c-section could have been prevented in the first place if I didnt have the epi or get confined to bed things might have been different.

It took over 18 months (including 3 rounds of IUI, a natural m/c and a d&c) of ttc to get my sticky BFP. I did LOTS of research in the meantime to educate myself about VBACs and CPD. I wanted to return to the OB informed. At my first appointment she said she would definitely support a VBAC attempt, on the condition that I had to have a pelvimitry scan done at 34weeks gestation to see if my pelvis is "big enough". Inside, I didnt agree with this, but I felt I could talk her round. The pregnancy progressed well after an initial shaky start (subchorionic haematoma bleed at 9 weeks) and I stuck to my guns about having a vbac. Leading up to my 34 week appointment I became anxious about the pelvimitry scan referral, but was so relieved when the OB told me she had decided not to go ahead with it as she could see just how determined I was to attempt a VBAC regardless of the scan outcome. I felt SO empowered, like my dream might finally come true! I just needed to get bubs to turn from its posterior position...

On Friday 11/10/13 I woke at 4.45am needing to go to the toilet. Went back to bed and had just dozed off when I got woken with a massive "pop" feeling internally, like bubs had punched its way through the sac. Once I felt a trickle - which I knew it wasnt me peeing myself!) I woke DH. He lept out of bed to get me a towel. As soon as I got out of bed contractions started intensly. I was bearly able to waddle from the bedroom to the bathroom. Putting a pad on I could see my waters were clear, which was such a relief as I knew I could labor at home for a while. I told DH to have some breakfast and we would leave DD asleep as long as possible. I waddled around the house, breathing through the contractions which came at roughly 3mins apart, but some were still irregular. I found that being on all 4s on the bed was comfortable.

DD woke at 6am asking why Mummy and Daddy were up before the sun was up??!! so DH got her breakfast. He rang MIL to ask her to come and collect DD, as I didn’t want her to see me in pain. DD was fascinated with Mummy making "so much noise!!". I found that vocalising during the contractions and marching on the spot really helped me to get through each one. I knew we were needing to get ready to go to the hospital soon so thought Id have a shower while DD was having breakfast and getting dressed. No sooner had I got in the shower I had the urge to throw up. DH came in to the bathroom and I yelled at him telling to get dressed NOW we need to go the the hospital NOW - in fact we should probably already be there!!! He rang MIL again and told her she needed to meet us at the hospital as things were progressing much quicker than anticipated. I could feel the contractions really intensify and coming on top of each other. I was starting to panic and recognised this as transition. I had never been this far before - it was all so new and scary yet so exciting! By this time each contraction was a struggle to get through. I was really starting to holler and wondering how on earth I would get in to the car, let alone survive the ride to the hospital!!! I began to feel the urge to push in the car so spent the ride with my eyes closed willing myself to not push. DH says I gave him a mouthful when he stopped for a red light, saying if it was me I would have run it..

At 7.50am we pulled up in the hospital entrance and I was determined to walk to maternity. When we were greeted by the midwives, I was whisked to delivery and told to get straight on the bed, they needed to do a ctg and put a cannula in as I was a VBAC. I could sense their urgency. They got the ctg on but decided against the cannula as I was already fully dialated and needing to push. DD was still in the delivery room with us so one of the middies took her out to the nurses station (I don’t remember any of this, but apparently they entertained her with biscuits and she was quite happy hanging out with the midwives!). DH commented that he had parked in the main entrance and needed to move the car, the middies told him there was not enough time! They hurriedly called the OB, and commented she may not make it in time.

I made sure I was on all 4s on the bed and at 8am began pushing. OMG. It felt good to finally be able to do it, but so painful at the same time. After a few contractions the OB arrived, followed by MIL to look after DD. I felt like I needed to do the biggest poo of my life, and initially I was pushing in to my bottom, but changed my focus to really bearing down. It was so intense. Then there was progress!!! I felt bubs start to descend down the birth canal. I remember the Middy commenting I was now pushing bubs past the "s-bend" and screamed at her "I know!!! I can feel it!!!!!!" - it was the hardest part and I felt every little movement. Then the "ring of fire began". I started to panic, screaming that I couldnt do it, its too painful. The OB replied that I was already doing it, and only a couple more contractions and I would be meeting my baby. This spurred me on. A couple more pushes and bubs’ head crowned. I was able to reach and touch the top of the head which was just amazing. At 8.41 am with the next contraction I pushed and baby was born. The OB passed bubs through my legs and I looked down the see we had a boy!!! I picked him up and cuddled him to my chest, something I never got the chance to do with DDs birth. He was so calm, hardly cried but was very alert and looking around. I felt on top of the world!

I had the injection to deliver the placenta, and a 2nd degree tear so stitches were required but I didn’t care. I had done it! He latched on the breast after the birth and had his first feed – something I don’t really even remember doing with DD (it was almost 2 hours after her birth) due to being so drugged out. DD was able to come in and meet him while we were still in the delivery suite – her face was just priceless. Not long after I was able to take a shower *bliss!* and go to my room. The midwives offered to wheel me there in a wheelchair but I declined saying I would walk - I had walked in, so was determined to walk out again this time!!. Walking out of delivery with my DS just completed the whole story. I had done it, and definitely dont have CPD.

DS is now 2 weeks old, not yet at his due date. He had initial issues with feeding due to his mouth muscles being under-developed and not being able to suck well, but is now feeding like a champ. He is just amazing, another piece to our crazy little family.

Details:
    Baby's name: Caleb James
    EDD: 30/10/13
    Actual birth date: 11/10/13
    Weight: 7lb 6oz - 3350g
    Length: 49cm
    Head circumference: 35cm
    Last edited by waitinghoping; 27-01-2014 at 22:05.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to waitinghoping For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-11-2013),cluckcluck  (26-10-2013),Cue  (27-10-2013),Jakois  (26-10-2013),lilypily  (27-10-2013),Little Ted  (27-10-2013),Miados2007  (26-10-2013),MichelleClareBear  (28-10-2013),mjk  (27-10-2013),mummabear13  (11-04-2014),munchkin859  (27-10-2013),peanutmonkey  (27-10-2013),thesmallestmeasure  (27-10-2013),VicPark  (26-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations !!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

waitinghoping  (27-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations that's so awesome! I would love a VBAC for my next baby. I love reading beautiful vbac birth stories

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to maco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Good on you! Inspiration for my vbac!

With your first birth I can't believe the midwife bathed your baby while you were in recovery! I mean what the f was the rush? I had to aSk my middies to help up do the first bath on night 4 as they like to leave the baby's skin untouched to absorb all the soft stuff.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    VicPark - that was my thoughts exactly - what on earth was the rush? She was quite nice but very old-fashioned (she has since retired). I felt everything had to be done "her" way, she never stopped to think what I as the mother might have wanted.

Good luck with your VBAC - I've been stalking VBAC birth stories for years to get inspiration, I love that I can now hopefully inspire others who really want their own VBAC story
    Last edited by waitinghoping; 26-10-2013 at 15:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations, I loved your story, it really made me re-live that moment of pushing out a giant head... in a good way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your vbac, what a wonderful story! Dd was delivered by c section due to being breach and I'm determined to have a vbac next time!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    After reading your story I am now going to have in my birth plan that if something happens (eg I have to have c-sec) then no 'firsts' are to be done (feed, bath etc) without me unless a doctor says it is medically necessary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Wow what an awesome story, congratulations on achieving your VBAC! Welcome to the world to your little man

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats!!! I'm so pleased you got the birth you wanted. I had a emergency c section with my first and was seperated for a few hours and my in laws had all held her by the time I got to the ward.
    My Vbac 5 months ago was very healing and my baby never leaving my side was that awesome 'bonding' experience I had heard so much about.
    I now get so excited when I hear of other mums getting a desperately wanted vbac.
    Enjoy your newbie snuggles.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post: