+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off a spin off: how do you ask for a seat?

Reading the threads about ob waiting times and pregnant ladies being made at stand in waiting rooms while partners/kids have seats got me thinking…
    If you asked to sit down while pregnant in a waiting room or public transport, what did you say and what was the response? I'm curious if anyone asked and was basically told to shove it, it's their seat and they aren't getting up for anyone, Pregnant or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Fortunately I haven't been in that position... When I have been in the early stage of pregnancy I've always found a seat. When I have been clearly visible pregnant people have always offered..

If I was on public transport and a person, not elderly/disabled/pregnant refused to give up a designated pregnancy/disability/elderly seat then I would Dob them into the driver

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just say 'excuse me, do you mind if I sit down?' Always at the reserved seating area. I honestly don't think people do it to be rude, at least not in my experience. I find either most people haven't noticed you, or are to scared to offer you a seat *just in case* you're not. I also always ask for help with the pusher, getting it on and off. I just stick my head in the tram and yell 'excuse me could someone give me a hand.' Lol. People are always more than willing to help when they're asked.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (25-10-2013),HugsBunny  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hit them with an inflatable hammer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I just say 'excuse me, do you mind if I sit down?' Always at the reserved seating area. I honestly don't think people do it to be rude, at least not in my experience. I find either most people haven't noticed you, or are to scared to offer you a seat *just in case* you're not. I also always ask for help with the pusher, getting it on and off. I just stick my head in the tram and yell 'excuse me could someone give me a hand.' Lol. People are always more than willing to help when they're asked.
    I must admit about thinking of you when trying to get on/off one of those silly things (trams) with a pram and wondering how the h3ll you did it.

I never had to stand. People always offered.

Once in our public hospital waiting room one of the midwives came out and yelled that any man sitting while a pregnant women was standing was a total knob and would have his partner put at the end of the list. Everyone just looked like and than a rather loud round of applause was heard.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (25-10-2013),CatesBean  (25-10-2013),VicPark  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I caught a train in peak hour from central when I was about 30wks pregnant with ds1. No seats were available, I was left holding onto the pole near the doors which mind you open and close frequently, the train brakes and I was holding on for my dear life. Not one person offered me a seat. They saw me struggling and did nothing for about 40 minutes until a younger fellow who popped on the train noticed and kindly asked a business man to move so I could take his seat. ( I was too shy & afraid of everyones reaction to ask ). By the time I got home my feet and ankles were ginormous!

I will never hesitate from now on to ask someone to move (kindly of course) for my pregnant self or any other pregnant women unless there is elderly or disabled persons present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is important to ask....just ask..."excuse me, I really need a seat".

So many people have been yelled at or told off for offering help that so often that they are often to nervous to offer. Ever asked a non pregnant woman "when they are due?"...it is not good.

Personally, i never understand why people get so cut that people don't offer them a seat/help etc etc...my first question is always "did you ask?" and if they didn't ask...then i really wonder what exactly they are complaining about.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-10-2013),VicPark  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just say " Excuse me, but do you mind if I take that seat?". I've only had one baf reaction and that was from a school girl who I asked to move their bag from the seat. Mostly people say " Sorry, I didn't see you there" and let me sit down. No harm in asking. I think with phones these days a lot of people are in their own world.
    I only ask if I need it, rather than to prove a point. Sometimes when offered I will say "I'm fine standing thank you, but I really appreciate the offer".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never asked.
    I've either been offered a seat, or I just stand. I was pregnant, not disabled.

And I agree with PP, if you want a seat, you need to ask. Just a simple "do you mind if I sit?" would be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I just say ''excuse me, would it be possible for me to sit down"? nothing embaressing about asking.