+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    As another poster said they put one on the ankle and the wrist.
    My hospital also has a policy where the baby is by your side at all times (no nursery rooms- not sure if any australia hospital has these anymore?)

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I had ds in adelaide (csect) so I know he is mine lol. He was labeled with a band on his ankle and wrist there, I carried him in my arms back to the room. He stayed with me all but about 3hrs, the midwives took him to give me sleep as he just wanted to feed, and feed, and feed, and sleep at the boobs, cry when moved, and feed, and feed.... (turned out I had no milk, we just didn't know).... But I couldn't sleep, I was stressed that I couldn't settle my baby.

When I went out to get ds because I was in tears, they had 4? 5? Bubbas in basinettes at the nurses station. It could have happened if they didn't have bands that said "baby of..(mums name)"

my local hospital in vic, has a nursery room, however there are very few babies born here now (less than 100 a year) but you can transfer back for post natal care....but they encourage rooming in, so its not used often.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 25-10-2013 at 16:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I had my baby, she was couching up flem and choking on it for the first 2 days (all very normal and even more so with c sections as apparently with a VB, the flem is pushed out their lungs on the way out). Anyway it was a bit unsettling and I didn't take my eyes off her as I was so worried about it. A nurse on duty said to bring her into nursery for a couple of hours but bring her in in ten minutes. My DP walked her down and two minutes later he was back with her. I asked him what he was doing and he said he couldn't leave her because 'all the babies looked the same'!!!!!!!!!! I was probably still drug affected but we had her on the bed ****ing our selves laughing because we couldn't find a flaw, freckle or anything that stood out. Eventually we found a tiny crease on her ear like I have and that couples with her hairy shoulder like her dad was enough to identify her!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OH and I didn't mean to make light of what must be a very traumatic situation for any parents to be in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    The hospital I went to put a band on a wrist and an ankle as well as a strip of micropore(sp?) With all their details on their backs.
    The baby goes from the birthing suite striaght to your room with you too.
    Do any hospitals still have a nursery in this day and age?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Dd had the band on wrist and ankle.
    There is a nursery, but it's mainly used for prem bubs. You can put bub in there while you have a shower, but otherwise bub is to stay with you.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There was another pregnant woman with the exact same name (first and last name) as me years back when I was having DS. I found this out as they kept bringing out her file at my appointments! I was so petrified that they would mix up our babies that I specifically told them to put an ID band on my baby the moment he was born. Turns out that I had nothing to worry about as she was quite ahead of me in her pregnancy, but it still had me worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I worked NICU we had all babies double banded before entering the nursery and if we found a baby missing both bands we had to check every single baby in the nursery to ensure the others all had bands on. If you found a second baby with no bands it became a nightmare as you had to clinically differentiate between them (sex, nationality, any distinguishing factors, medical conditions) if you had 2 similar bubs it went to blood typing then DNA. I never saw it get that far but that was the policy. We were all band nazi's as no one wanted that hassle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum likes to dine out on a story about how when she was in hospital with my eldest brother, her first born - the nurses brought him in for a breastfeed an mid feed she realized it wasn't him but some random baby!

For the concerned OPs, bub doesn't leave your side so very difficult to get "switched", if they need to go to the nicu they will be banded before they go - it's very stringent now.

I refused to let the nurses take either of my boys to the nurses station when they were cluster feeding all night long to give me a break - not because I was worried about switching but I was more paranoid about them being snatched. There is zero security in hospitals, so easy for someone to walk in and just take your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't there a movie about two sets of identical twins born at the same hospital and one twin accidentally gets swapped for the other and they don't find out until they're adults yet they look totally different ? Movie would be atleast. 15 yrs old and pretty sure it wasn't a true story...

I had to go to theatre after having DS to get stitches (3rd degree tear, ouchie!!) but DH stayed with him the whole time. They made him push the bassinet everywhere, very cute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Mum likes to dine out on a story about how when she was in hospital with my eldest brother, her first born - the nurses brought him in for a breastfeed an mid feed she realized it wasn't him but some random baby!

For the concerned OPs, bub doesn't leave your side so very difficult to get "switched", if they need to go to the nicu they will be banded before they go - it's very stringent now.

I refused to let the nurses take either of my boys to the nurses station when they were cluster feeding all night long to give me a break - not because I was worried about switching but I was more paranoid about them being snatched. There is zero security in hospitals, so easy for someone to walk in and just take your baby.
    ^^ this! The same thing happened to my mum with my little brother. They brought in the wrong baby and my mum knew straight away that this wasn't her baby. She called the midwives back in and told them straight away. She could hear my brother crying in another room.. she just 'knew' her bubbas cry. The other mum was trying to feed him and he must have known something was wrong because he was screaming his lungs out...
    We laugh about it now but it was pretty traumatic when it happened.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to glittertg For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it happened to me, I think it would be enough to quite possibly put me in a psych ward for awhile. I couldn't imagine anything worse.

I'd like to respond the same as everyone else - I'd never want to give up the child I'd raised of course. But I'm also honest in saying I think I'd be very selfish and also want my bio child too. Or at least the opportunity to develop a close bond. Once I knew my flesh and blood was out there, I think my mummy instincts would kick in and want to protect and love that child too.

Such a horrific situation to ever be in, for all parties concerned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast