+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Maybe if it was like, a mix up discovered fairly soon afterwards. Otherwise, no way.

My daughter is my daughter. If I found out tomorrow she wasn't really mine, there is no way I would trade her in for some random kid I don't know but who shared genetic matter with me. I know them no more than I know any random kid.

I think it could potentially be really traumatic for children to be "swapped," as well. Imagine being so little, trusting and loving your mother and father... only to just be handed over to some other couple and that's it! No way.

Even just watching DP and DD proves to me that biology is not really that important. He is SO MUCH more of her father than her own father is... the bond they share and the relationship they've built proves they are family. The fact she didn't come from his sperm doesn't mean squat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They put bands on the baby, but there can be reasons they take a while to do this (such as complications... if the baby isn't breathing, they're not going to be messing around with bracelets wasting time)... maybe that's how these mix-ups occur?

I guess this is yet another benefit of planning a homebirth for future babies. It'll be pretty difficult to accidentally swap babies with someone there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have raised a child that is not biologically mine for the last 2 years since he was 6 days old and I can say that I feel the same for him as I did for my bio child. If I was in the situation the OP asked about I could never give up the child I had raised if it was my choice. I would hope to have a relationship with the bio child and be kept up to date on it's development.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (26-10-2013),Mamasupial  (25-10-2013),Pesca77  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    When a child is born, do they put one of those wrist bands on them? I'm due in February, I've thought about drawing on the baby's foot with permanent marker or something as soon as it comes out, I dunno why I think about these things, but it freaks me out!
    As another poster said they put one on the ankle and the wrist.
    My hospital also has a policy where the baby is by your side at all times (no nursery rooms- not sure if any australia hospital has these anymore?)

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think I could. Ive always been paranoid about it too. There is defs no doubting that dd isnt ours. She looks exactly like me when I was her age and she is identical to her father.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    As another poster said they put one on the ankle and the wrist.
    My hospital also has a policy where the baby is by your side at all times (no nursery rooms- not sure if any australia hospital has these anymore?)

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    My babies had one on wrist, o e on ankle and a sticker on their back that was so horrible to remove! Especially because my kids were really hairy. ! Lots of baby oil later.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    a sticker on their back
    Seriously?! That's weird, especially as lots of babies are really peely it could pull of there skin!

I would continue to raise my child but try and have a relationship with my bio child.

The show switched at birth on fox is my guilty pleasure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do a search for "Kimberly Mays" to find a devistating situation in which it occured.

Sent from my MEDION E4002 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    When a child is born, do they put one of those wrist bands on them? I'm due in February, I've thought about drawing on the baby's foot with permanent marker or something as soon as it comes out, I dunno why I think about these things, but it freaks me out!
    The hospital I went to put a band on a wrist and an ankle as well as a strip of micropore(sp?) With all their details on their backs.
    The baby goes from the birthing suite striaght to your room with you too.
    Do any hospitals still have a nursery in this day and age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At our hospital they do a wrist and ankle bracelet and also a little sticker on their back with babies details written on it as the bands always slip off. Plus a photo of parents in there little cot. I also think I had to sign when the baby left and came back in my room. Sounds a lot but I would rather be safe than sorry