+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hopefully this is the case, I don't particularly want to be harassed for speaking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    Was probably trying to avoid a scene as well in front of potential future tennants.

I don't know the laws but don't let people bully you or intimidate you. Done real estate agents/landlords are notorious for this. We had an issue with the bath at one of a tentals when we were still renting. Wen we moved in we noticed an area of paint was bubbling with water under it.

We emailed them as soon as we moved in. It got worse and worse and they just ignored it until the did an inspection and tried to blame us for it and demanded to know the name of any cleaning product we had used.

We also took it to the tribunal and won and hey had to fix it within 2 weeks.

They bank on the idea you know your rights or won't be bothered to take it further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You've got nothing to lose. Don't let them harass you and stick to your guns. No earlier than 14 days before. I'd also put in a formal complaint about the behaviour of that guy and mark it private and confidential to the managing director just so they know.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

charsmum  (26-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrl View Post
    I get that you are enforcing your rights as a tenant, but if you had already agreed to an open and they had advertised it I don't think it's right to call them the day before to cancel. When I was looking for a rental there were so many opens cancelled at the last minute it was horrible trying to find somewhere.

I probably would have done tomorrow, then said no more till 14 days.

Editing to add: after being yelled at by one of their employees I totally wouldn't allow it, I was talking before that happened.
    I agree with this. Being yelled out is completely out of line. Personally though, I this instance if I'd agreed to it I would have gone through with it and then said that I wouldn't be having anymore until the 14 day period. I think good will goes both ways and if you were preparing to have it anyway I would have gone ahead with it regardless of feeling like I needed to enforce my rights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've worked in real estate (in Vic) for 12 years now. Although it's the law that tenants don't have to let people through, I've never actually seen a tenant refuse entry. I'm in commercial R/E now (completely different), but when I worked in residential we started inspections as soon as tenants gave notice to vacate.

The way you have been spoken to is terrible though and a total overreaction on their part. It's so rare for tenants to refuse entry that I can't really understand why your property manager is worried. If it's a good property and priced right, it should lease, regardless of whether inspections start now or within the last 14 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I haven't read any replies. I think you are in the right and the real estate are pigs... But in the big scheme of things does it really matter that someone is looking at your house 20 days out as opposed to 14? If I was moving out I would probably be inclined to give a little when it comes to letting potential tenants have a look: create goodwill for the final inspection and all.

As I said you are in the right but calling up and canceling an open inspection the day before is a bit short notice. The real estate would be losing advertising money...

Keep on top of things to make sure you get your bond back (don't let them pull a swifty).

Bottom line renting sux!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I've worked in real estate (in Vic) for 12 years now. Although it's the law that tenants don't have to let people through, I've never actually seen a tenant refuse entry. I'm in commercial R/E now (completely different), but when I worked in residential we started inspections as soon as tenants gave notice to vacate.

The way you have been spoken to is terrible though and a total overreaction on their part. It's so rare for tenants to refuse entry that I can't really understand why your property manager is worried. If it's a good property and priced right, it should lease, regardless of whether inspections start now or within the last 14 days.
    Do you think that the tenants allowed entry as soon as they gave notice because they didnt know their rights in terms of it only being the last 14 days of their lease though? I certainly wouldnt of known if it wasnt for a good friend informing me this week of it. I'm guessing most tenants just do what their PM tells them to because they trust that their PM is doing whats legally correct. I've been renting for 6 years now and I've mved 5 times. I've never had people through my house when I've given my final 28 days notice to vacate.

As I had said earlier, I would have never let anyone through my home until the correct time given by law. It's not my responsibility to get the house re-leased. 2 weeks while I'm trying to move out is plenty of time imo as places get leased out within a couple of days of the open inspection. But then again the house were in did have trouble getting rented out, and they've put the price up, so I'm guessing thats why they threw a hissy fit. I doubt they've lost money on advertising, the house is up on the net, theres a board outside our house and they had an open last saturday that no one turned up to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I understand it wasnt in good taste to cancel at the last minute but I wouldnt have done it if they had done the right thing on their side. They know what they were doing was wrong but used my ignorance to get around it. I guess I feel like I've been taken for a ride and am quite annoyed by it, I thought the company was fantastic ad our PM was great- until now. I have no respect for them now.
    I will be sure to make sure I receive the bond back, and will fight for it back if they try to do anything dodgy. Our house is in near perfect condition, apart from minor wear and tear from condensation marks on a wall in the bathroom which they know about (which I believe they will try and get us on), we've always kept the fan on and window open to avoid it getting worse. But there is no damage to the property and the gardens are neat and tidy. (even though all the grass was dead out the back and as tall as my knees, and the front was full of weeds when we moved in!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually don't think they have taken you for a ride or really done anything wrong. They asked for an inspection and you said yes? Did they tell you that you had to allow this to happen or did they just ask and you said yes?

This is no reason for them to keep your bond either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The legal minimum time they can give you to show prospective tenants is 14 days but with your permission they can show it anytime - I also don't think they were being shady just asking if they could do an inspection earlier and you originally said yes?

It is not cheap putting properties the net , most sites charge monthly ( some weekly) plus for lease signs, brochures ect so yes they would be spending money on advertising ( or at least charging the owner !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I actually don't think they have taken you for a ride or really done anything wrong. They asked for an inspection and you said yes? Did they tell you that you had to allow this to happen or did they just ask and you said yes?

This is no reason for them to keep your bond either.
    They didn't ask if they. Old. They told me they were starting open house from x day at x time. I didn't know then I could have said no, not until x date. So I wasn't under the impression that I had an option