+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only paper trail I have so far is between myself & the property manager with me giving more than 28 days notice to vacate. them asking to do open inspections for future tenants, which I did agree to before knowing my rights, since knowing my rights I emailed my property manager informing her of them and telling her that I will not be allowing anyone to enter until the 14 days before my lease ends. When she returns my last email I will then mention the phone call I had with one of colleges and mentioning the conversation that took place then as well.

DP is going to call them up after we were meant to have our open tomorrow and ask who spoke to me today, so then he can have a word with them and find out their name. DP said if he spoke to him the way he spoke to me on the phone he'd be making a detour on the way home to their office and that whouldnt help anyone lol.

Is the tenancy advocacy service like Consumers Affairs Victoria? If so thats who I've been in contact. Their the ones that are in charge of the Residential Tenancy Act VIC.

It does suck as we've been good renters and done everything right, the landlord and proprty manager was happy with us and sad to see us lease. Then she trys to pull the rug underneath us which is totally unfair. Everyone at that real estate has been lovely until you put in a complaint with your rights.

Hopefully our new Real estate and espeically Property manager is a lovely person!

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Not sure if it works the same as QLD and NSW, but in those states as soon as your lease is up, lodge the bond refund form. That way the RE will have to pay to take you tribunal if they want to make a claim against your bond.

Have you got in touch with your local tenancy advocacy service? They are great in situations like this. Their advice scored me a $300 refund upon vacating my last house.

I would keep all correspondence in writing that way you have a paper trail if you ever do end up in tribunal too.

It really sucks to be a renter in this day and age!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Your local tenancy advocacy service should be an independant, not for profit organsiation that assists tenants with any matters or queries relating to their tenancy agreements.
    Just have a google, or even tenants.org.au should have a link to your local one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Needing Open Inspection advice & support :(

I get that you are enforcing your rights as a tenant, but if you had already agreed to an open and they had advertised it I don't think it's right to call them the day before to cancel. When I was looking for a rental there were so many opens cancelled at the last minute it was horrible trying to find somewhere.

I probably would have done tomorrow, then said no more till 14 days.

Editing to add: after being yelled at by one of their employees I totally wouldn't allow it, I was talking before that happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless they have served you with written notice of their intention to enter the property then they cannot force you to have the inspection. Call them in the morning and cancel it. I am an agent and we have tenants cancel opens all the time - nothing we can do bout it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrl View Post
    I get that you are enforcing your rights as a tenant, but if you had already agreed to an open and they had advertised it I don't think it's right to call them the day before to cancel. When I was looking for a rental there were so many opens cancelled at the last minute it was horrible trying to find somewhere.

I probably would have done tomorrow, then said no more till 14 days.

Editing to add: after being yelled at by one of their employees I totally wouldn't allow it, I was talking before that happened.
    Yeah I understand that. But I did ring today to have a chat with someone within the office to be able to let the person know who was going to hold the open tomorrow morning. It would have been more of a d!ck move to just open the door and say sorry no inspection today and close the door on them? they know, its up to them if they still try to go forward with it. Im sure the person would have no idea about the convo i had with that guy as he wasnt interested in a word i was saying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelymum View Post
    Unless they have served you with written notice of their intention to enter the property then they cannot force you to have the inspection. Call them in the morning and cancel it. I am an agent and we have tenants cancel opens all the time - nothing we can do bout it
    Would you consider an sms as proper written notice? I asked the Consumer Affairs Victoria and they said it isnt a formal notice as its not "in writing" like a letter. I'm curious on your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No it isn't. Definitely not! ! Don't let them in. Ring in the mirning to make sure they understand it's not happening and that you already spoke to someone about it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it's not a formal notice, the law states the notice to enter must be served in writing with a minimum of 24 hours notice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: Well, no one turned up for their 9am open house appointment. The pig of a man yesterday obviously let the person running the open house today know. Maybe he looked up our lease and tenant rights and realized he put his foot in his mouth?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (26-10-2013),Meld85  (26-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was probably trying to avoid a scene as well in front of potential future tennants.

I don't know the laws but don't let people bully you or intimidate you. Done real estate agents/landlords are notorious for this. We had an issue with the bath at one of a tentals when we were still renting. Wen we moved in we noticed an area of paint was bubbling with water under it.

We emailed them as soon as we moved in. It got worse and worse and they just ignored it until the did an inspection and tried to blame us for it and demanded to know the name of any cleaning product we had used.

We also took it to the tribunal and won and hey had to fix it within 2 weeks.

They bank on the idea you know your rights or won't be bothered to take it further.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (26-10-2013)