+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I am going to try for a VBAC this time round. Had an appointment with the OB the other day. I asked if there was a size limit at which he would recommend against vbac and he said size, in the absence of another medical condition, is not reason enough to prevent a vbac. He said that the pelvis is very flexible and very very rarely do women produce babies that they can not birth (size wise, not taking into account other issues).

    Good luck..

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,146
    Thanks
    251
    Thanked
    371
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally wouldn't really go by the measurements... The only way they truly know how big your baby is is when it comes out. I've heard of them being out by ridiculous amounts.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    Personally OP I wouldn't elect a caesarean on the grounds of a possibly big bub. I would start researching the best birthing positions to birth a larger bub and natural ways to deal with pain throughout labor so you can avoid any drugs that may hinder your ability to birth actively I had an emergency caesarean for my first, it was a failed induction and he was just simply stuck. He was 9lb10. DD was born naturally 16 months later and she weighed in at 9lb8.5oz so very similar in size however DD's head was bigger... My point is I couldn't birth my first bub because of all the interventions however, avoiding any unnecessary interventions from the hospital meant I birthed my daughter safely and naturally. I also belive OP that with a decision like this a lot depends on how important the birthing experience is to you. For some it is incredibly important however others are happy to go with the flow and don't get upset by it, explore whats important to you

    My story is pretty similar to this.

    I had a lot of interventions with ds1 (he was 9pd11.5oz, 36.5cm hc). I got 4th degree tears and was told i wouldnt be able to have another VB.

    With my second i got a growth scan at 36wks which showed he would be 9pd at 40wks. I chose to have another VB, but refuse all interventions. I had ds2 within 3hrs. He was 60g smaller (9pd9.5oz, 37cm hc) and he had a bigger head, but was really easy to birth.

    In a normal pregnancy i personally wouldnt csec due to a big baby. I have GD and im even tossing up refusing an induction and having bub when ever she wants to come.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    618
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    98
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My second baby was measuring huge . I could feel he was huge so the measurements were right. I pushed for early induction to increase my chances of a natural birth. They kept putting it off then at 39 weeks they said he was too big I had to be induced. My first was average size and had shoulder dystocia... So I was worried this would happen again. It did. My baby turned into the worst position he could as I was pushing. He got stuck twice as he was so big and even though I was prepped for the c section it was too late once he got himself stuck and the cord Around his neck. Two dislocated shoulders and a broken collar bone later my son was ripped out of me (my poor lady bits )and after resuscitation and five broken ribs he was "ok". This is my story and it was horrible. ... I really think the hospital should've listen to my concerns and suggested a c section to start with or an earlier induction. Having said this some women have large babies no problem! It's what we are made for . I strongly feel that after my first baby got stuck I shouldn't have been allowed to birth a baby so much bigger knowing the smaller one got stuck. I don't say this to scare anyone just to point out that it's your body and your baby. If you think you can do it and haven't had any other troubles before then give it a go! I wish I had been offered a c section. .

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked
    490
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Based on size alone I'd opt for vb, if you have gestational diabetes as well I'd go c section.
    My first was was born with Erbs palsy and a broken arm because of shoulder dystocia, we were so lucky we didn't lose her.
    I'd had undiagnosed g.d (passed by old standards, failed by new), my diabetes educator who I see for this pregnancy said that the baby can put the weight on in their shoulders as well as their belly (hence the extra risk of shoulder dystocia).
    My next Bub will be born via c section, and I am really happy with that decision
    I don't want to come across as trying to scare you, it's something you should really talk to your doctors about


    Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,581
    Thanks
    748
    Thanked
    733
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    Based on size alone I'd opt for vb, if you have gestational diabetes as well I'd go c section.
    My first was was born with Erbs palsy and a broken arm because of shoulder dystocia, we were so lucky we didn't lose her.
    I'd had undiagnosed g.d (passed by old standards, failed by new), my diabetes educator who I see for this pregnancy said that the baby can put the weight on in their shoulders as well as their belly (hence the extra risk of shoulder dystocia).
    My next Bub will be born via c section, and I am really happy with that decision
    I don't want to come across as trying to scare you, it's something you should really talk to your doctors about


    Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    I often wonder if I had gestational diabetes undiagnosed with my last 2 even though my glucose tolerance test came back fine both times. Is that possible do you think?

    My last 2 pregnancies were 15 & 11 yrs ago so would they fall under old standards & bub under new? Sorry if you don't know the answers I can ask my midwives lol

    This baby itself is measuring spot on but my gestational sac & uterus measures 2 weeks ahead. I'm still very early days atm 8-9weeks and have had much more monitoring due to other reasons. My uterus always measured further ahead with my biggest bub so I'll be very curious to see if for me it's this obvious this early if that makes sense.

    Sorry to sidetrack the thread😄

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked
    490
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    I often wonder if I had gestational diabetes undiagnosed with my last 2 even though my glucose tolerance test came back fine both times. Is that possible do you think?

    My last 2 pregnancies were 15 & 11 yrs ago so would they fall under old standards & bub under new? Sorry if you don't know the answers I can ask my midwives lol

    This baby itself is measuring spot on but my gestational sac & uterus measures 2 weeks ahead. I'm still very early days atm 8-9weeks and have had much more monitoring due to other reasons. My uterus always measured further ahead with my biggest bub so I'll be very curious to see if for me it's this obvious this early if that makes sense.

    Sorry to sidetrack the thread😄
    I'd say it was possible, they changed the standards after I'd done my test but before my Bub was born (September last year ).
    Dd was always measuring ahead, and was estimated to be pretty big (4.2 kilos at birth). My sisters first was bigger but she had no problems thankfully. This Bub was right on dates until recently (now in the 98th percentile), and I just got diagnosed with GD.
    Mention it to your doctors and see what they say (they might be able to check your old test levels). Hope it all goes well for you


    Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    1,741
    Thanked
    1,273
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm having to have a c section. My situation is multifactorial though. Bub is breech, posterior and apparently 'massive' according to my obs.
    He ha suggested that even if bub did turn I should still have the c/s due to size.
    When I asked him how big massive was, he said 3.5kg! To me that is not massive and definately not big enough to warrant a c/s....
    Bub didn't turn anyway and is still posterior so c-section it is for me but if it had just been a size thing I would have tried a vb.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,581
    Thanks
    748
    Thanked
    733
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I'd say it was possible, they changed the standards after I'd done my test but before my Bub was born (September last year ).
    Dd was always measuring ahead, and was estimated to be pretty big (4.2 kilos at birth). My sisters first was bigger but she had no problems thankfully. This Bub was right on dates until recently (now in the 98th percentile), and I just got diagnosed with GD.
    Mention it to your doctors and see what they say (they might be able to check your old test levels). Hope it all goes well for you


    Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    It's more just for curiosity sake as I had my first hospital visit & the first thing I asked is if they'll let me have elective csection no questions asked. We have moved away from hospital my previous kids were born in and are now rural.

    Midwife looked at my file & they'd already received my files from last hospital. Funny thing is I was already listed as csection only based on previous history.

    I'd gone to the appointment thinking that at this early in pregnancy I'd have a hard time having that in writing lol
    I'd told DH if I didn't have a guarantee I wasn't delivering there I'd go to a bigger hospital 30 mins away.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,581
    Thanks
    748
    Thanked
    733
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    I'm having to have a c section. My situation is multifactorial though. Bub is breech, posterior and apparently 'massive' according to my obs.
    He ha suggested that even if bub did turn I should still have the c/s due to size.
    When I asked him how big massive was, he said 3.5kg! To me that is not massive and definately not big enough to warrant a c/s....
    Bub didn't turn anyway and is still posterior so c-section it is for me but if it had just been a size thing I would have tried a vb.
    Maybe that's a big bub compared to you? But generally that's a pretty average size bub. Good luck with your delivery x


 

Similar Threads

  1. 10 pnd baby would you have a section?
    By CleverClogs in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 27-06-2013, 07:06
  2. Planned C-Section, what to expect?
    By Grebbeci in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17-12-2012, 22:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!