+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Honestly? I would find a new OB. Failing that I would ask them what the variance is in the estimate. My understanding is that the tolerance for these estimates is huge. I remember reading that estimates done via ultra sound can be + or - up to something like 40%.

ETA: Being induced early especially for a first time baby will drastically increase your chances of the birth ending in an emergency CS.

Sorry if I sound all negative, that's not my intention. Like all women about to give birth I just feel you should be armed with some information or at least questions to ask your health care providers.

Best of luck with everything.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 25-10-2013 at 13:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    The first thing I thought of was one born every minute. They have had a few shoulder dystocia cases. I'm not sure what I would do personally, fear may make me want a csection.
    I was left pretty traumatised by my shoulder dystocia birth & watching that today was very hard for me.

My next delivery after my shoulder dystocia was planned csection & this bub will be too, mind u I had started to think I should keep my options open, after today no way.

Mind you I prefer vaginal delivery as my csection was hard to recover from but end of day I prefer my bub safe as much as I can help.

Again I know I may have differing opinion to others & I've read numerous successful deliveries after previous shoulder dystocia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With my first they said id have an 11 pounder. She turned out to be a 8 pounder.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do whatever you feel comfortable with. What is your gut telling you? Trust your instincts they are usually spot on.

DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    If you watched 1 born every minute today & saw the shoulder dystocia birth you'd elect csection

I had big bub born naturally & had this happen, scariest thing ever.

Depends a lot on your body too, can they do an us measuring scan to check your pelvis? The measurements can definetly be out.

Not to scare you but shoulder dystocia can be like a normal easy delivery then becomes an emergency when bubs shoulders get stuck.

But in saying that plenty of women give birth to big bubs with no problems.
    This.

My ds was 9lb8oz with a huge head, he always measured 3ish weeks ahead. He was a natural birth at 39 weeks, and he had shoulder dystocia. He wasnt breathing when he was born so was taken straight away, and I had a horrible recovery which took over 12 months.

Dd was 9lb1oz at 38 weeks, by c-sec. Scans showed her measuring big too so was going to be induced early but there is actually no evidence proving early induction reduces chances of shoulder dystocia. Thank god I had a c-sec. She came out crying. . Breathing.. healthy! Her shoulders were huge so she would have also been SD. At the time I was being wheeled into theatre I thought I made the wrong choice. . But as soon as she was born I knew I had done the right thing.

Its a tough one, but believe in yourself. Think about what is important to you and what birthing experience you would like.. and aim for that with an open mind.

Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally OP I wouldn't elect a caesarean on the grounds of a possibly big bub. I would start researching the best birthing positions to birth a larger bub and natural ways to deal with pain throughout labor so you can avoid any drugs that may hinder your ability to birth actively I had an emergency caesarean for my first, it was a failed induction and he was just simply stuck. He was 9lb10. DD was born naturally 16 months later and she weighed in at 9lb8.5oz so very similar in size however DD's head was bigger... My point is I couldn't birth my first bub because of all the interventions however, avoiding any unnecessary interventions from the hospital meant I birthed my daughter safely and naturally. I also belive OP that with a decision like this a lot depends on how important the birthing experience is to you. For some it is incredibly important however others are happy to go with the flow and don't get upset by it, explore whats important to you

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (26-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told to expect DS to be over 9 pounds....he was 7lb 3oz (3.75 kg) so the scans can definitely be off. I was induced on my due date cos of other reasons but I pushed him out with no real dramas.

My sis and I were both over 9lbs and mum had us both vaginally.

Don't feel pressured into the c-section, but don't have a moment of guilt if you choose to do it.

Good luck x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mums OB stopped guessing my brothers weight at about 36 weeks knowing he was greater then 10lb already my mum didnt want to know the full extent. He was near on 13 lb when he was born at 41 wks and should never have been allowed to get to that size or weight.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi NessieJ
    I had a scan at 35 weeks with my DS which showed he was an 'average' size. I gave birth to him naturally at 40+5 and he weighed 10lb8oz. We always knew he would be bigger than my DD who was 8lbs13 oz but didn't really expect that kind of size! If I had known he was going to be that big I think I still would have tried to birth naturally, though my OB has said if we plan on having a 3rd child we'd have to talk c-section. (Pretty sure we're done though). All the best with bubs birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I just add that with my shoulder dystocia baby I was told he'd be the same size as his sister at 7p7o.

And like a previous poster I also went into my csection thinking I should have tried vaginal and when they opened me up he was already stuck.

My understanding is that birthing position isn't guaranteed to help with the delivery of a big baby. I often actually think there's a difference between a big baby & a baby who's proportions are big particularly shoulders obviously. If that makes sense.

This is such a sensitive topic for me and it's such a hard decision to make. I think your dr needs to provide you with more evidence of him saying bub is big & give his recommendations & why.

If he mentions shoulder dystocia in any way I'd elect csection. From his delivery my son ended up with a condition called Erbs Palsy which resulted from brachial plexus injury which resulted from the shoulder dystocia. It was 5 yrs of treatment but thankfully he's pretty much perfect now😄

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (25-10-2013)