+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Planned C-section due to big baby?

Hi, If you were told your baby was measuring 'big' would you choose to have a planned caesarean, or would you still try to have the baby naturally? I am 36 weeks and 2 days, and our baby is measuring 3 weeks big for her size. Ob admits sometimes they get the measurements wrong, but seems to think it's reasonably accurate seen as all measurements are proportional. She said bub could be as big as 10pound or bigger! I have no idea what to do....

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's your choice. DD measured 4 week bigger at 36 weeks. She was born at 38 weeks via C-section due to pre eclampsia and was 7lb. DS measured 4 weeks bigger and was born at 39 weeks via c-section and was 9lb 3oz. They aren't always big when they measure big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try and give birth vaginally and try and bring on labor naturally a little early.
    You will know your limits

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you watched 1 born every minute today & saw the shoulder dystocia birth you'd elect csection

I had big bub born naturally & had this happen, scariest thing ever.

Depends a lot on your body too, can they do an us measuring scan to check your pelvis? The measurements can definetly be out.

Not to scare you but shoulder dystocia can be like a normal easy delivery then becomes an emergency when bubs shoulders get stuck.

But in saying that plenty of women give birth to big bubs with no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    If you watched 1 born every minute today & saw the shoulder dystocia birth you'd elect csection

I had big bub born naturally & had this happen, scariest thing ever.

Depends a lot on your body too, can they do an us measuring scan to check your pelvis? The measurements can definetly be out.

Not to scare you but shoulder dystocia can be like a normal easy delivery then becomes an emergency when bubs shoulders get stuck.

But in saying that plenty of women give birth to big bubs with no problems.

The first thing I thought of was one born every minute. They have had a few shoulder dystocia cases. I'm not sure what I would do personally, fear may make me want a csection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I would try naturally. Like pp have said those measurements aren't always accurate and plenty of people give birth naturally to big babies. I was told my first baby was bigger then average (no measurements just from feel) and he was 9lb 3oz.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked for an early induction instead of c section. I was granted one at 38 weeks due to size. I also had gd. He was almost 9 pound. They were also saying 10 pound to me if I went to term. I was never going to allowed to carry to term anyway because of the gd. But anytjing to avoid a c section.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would they induce you earlier to avoid a c sec?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi NessieJ, I was induced with DS 2 at 36 weeks for health reasons and he was 9lb 15oz - nobody expected him to be that big (as my Ob never did any scans) and he was natural with some assistance. With DD1 (and a different Ob) at my 36 week check she was measuring around 4.5 kg and had put on 800gm in 2 weeks. I work for myself and my Ob knew I wanted to try and deliver naturally although I would have a c-sect if necessary. My Ob wanted to prevent any shoulder dystocia issues so decided to induce me at just on 37 weeks. I delivered a healthy 10lb 8.5oz baby girl naturally with only a small amount of assistance. Why not talk to your Ob about seeing if you can be induced earlier - I am really thankful mine did - but be prepared that you still may require a c-sect if things don't go to plan. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was 4kg and noone mentioned size throughout pregnancy.
    With #2 they kept on about a "macrosomic baby" suggesting 4.5kg and yeah it worried me too.
    I was induced just before 38 weeks due to lack of movement and he was only 3.5kg so prob would only have been 4kg too.
    His head and belly were (and still are) the biggest part of him.
    It's hard to know what to do isnt it. Good luck