+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Increased Down Syndrome Risk

Hi everyone! I've only just signed up as i'm really hoping some of you out there may have been through this and can share your experiences with me. I'm 35 and 12+1wks pregnant with my 3rd baby, although this is my 5th pregnancy. At 8 weeks I thought I had again miscarried. My doctor did also but an ultrasound showed a healthy baby. I asked the question, if it was possible that I might have been pregnant with twins (they ran in the family). Both the sonographer and doctor said that it's impossible to tell but they believed it to most likely have been the case and that I had miscarried one of the babies. Now just 4 weeks on after having my bloods and Nuchal translucency scan at the start of the week, I have been contacted by the hospital to attend an appointment, as my risk of down syndrome has increased. She said my normal risk would have been at 1 in 264, but the screening came in at a 1 in 241 risk. She said the scan was fine and normal, it was just the bloods. To me the risk seems quite small but it is still increased and as I didn't have this with either of my other two children, i'm finding myself freaking out and quite emotional about the whole thing. Has anyone else had the same thing? Can anyone share their stories? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My scan was great, but NT bloods came back with low Papp-A and so gave me a 1:195 risk of downs.

I really didn't want an amnio, so we opted for the Verifi blood test which tests the baby's DNA extracted from your blood. It was $900 and took 10 days to get results, but no risk to bub. Luckily all the chromosome tests came back normal - certainly worth it for peace of mind.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! Just thought i'd update by saying that i'm booked in for an Amnio on Monday morning. Fingers crossed all will be okay. Thanks for taking the time to reply.. I was quite stressed at the time but i'm happy to say i'm a whole lot calmer now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaSam View Post
    Thanks ladies! Just thought i'd update by saying that i'm booked in for an Amnio on Monday morning. Fingers crossed all will be okay. Thanks for taking the time to reply.. I was quite stressed at the time but i'm happy to say i'm a whole lot calmer now
    Best of luck MummaSam! I've heard an amnio is more uncomfortable than anything. I hope it all goes well and you can tell us soon that everything is okay

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

MummaSam  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a 1:288 risk for T21 with DS2 due to low Papp-A and high HCG (I think that's the right acronym).

We decided not to do further testing and DS2 doesn't have T21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try to stay calm until you have your testing..

Best advice I was given....
    Imagine a massive container which contains 240 white golfballs, and 1 red golfball. Mix them up, and pluck out a ball.
    The odds are in your favour that you will pick out a white ball.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Vonnie89  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of your responses. After having the amnio done at the hospital, I finally got the results back yesterday and everything is fine It will be so good to progress without anymore stresses (fingers crossed). For those wondering, the amnio itself wasn't bad at all. Hardly uncomfortable & definitely not painful. However, I never regained full feeling back in my lower stomach after I had an emergency C section with my 2nd.. so that probably helped. The only thing I will say i'm annoyed with is that I wasn't offered the option for obtaining early results. I phoned on Friday to see if the results were back and they asked if I had paid the $250 to have the results fast tracked. I wasn't even aware this was an option at the hospital. I most definitely would have paid the money to have the results within a couple of days rather than wait the two weeks I had to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear everything is fine. I hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy