Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christmas spending

I have lots of things to pay for around Christmas this year as well as buying presents for all my family. I'm not really sure how to spread my money evenly so I can afford everything - bills as well as travel expenses (not a holiday, I have to go for personal reasons) and then making sure the kids have good presents AND my extended family who always seem disappointed if I don't get them something really nice.

Do you have any advice on how I can make sure I have enough money- any short term things I can do to save a little more until all these expenses are done?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christmas Spending

Most people look forward to Christmas and see it as a happy time to be shared with loved ones and family - but for some people Christmas can also be very stressful.

My biggest tip to de-stress Christmas is to make a plan at the start of the year and stick to it. Decide what you want to do, set a budget and work towards that.

Consider Christmas as the sum of many parts; there’s the food, the gifts, decorations, travel etc. and then allocate a “reasonable” budget to each element, then work towards that by putting money aside each week.
    Keep your Christmas money separate to your everyday money and try to avoid impulse purchases.

It may be too late to do anything about this year but why not set children’s expectations early. Reinforce the “real” meaning of Christmas - that is being around loved ones and enjoying each other’s company. Instead of gifts, why not donate to charity or volunteer your time.

Christmas can often be competitive and over commercialized and it’s easy to succumb to the powerful marketing messages but you can set a tone for Christmas that meets with your budget and the true spirit of the holiday.

If it’s too late to set a budget and organised a plan and you’re a little short of money, you may be tempted to fall back on credit cards to bridge the gap. If you do decide to do this, be mindful not to over-commit yourself because it can be even more stressful and very sobering when the credit card statements arrive in early in the New Year.