+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ASD & Kindergarten?

Hi everyone,
    So my son will be starting main****** kindergarten next yr - and we are in nsw...
    We met with principal of our local school the other day (also where dd goes) ... He said that because our son only had a diagnosis of asd he would not be eligible for a government funded aide, but he would be able to access the small pool of funding the school has to get an aide for 1 hour a day!
    So I'm looking to see how many kids with just an asd diagnosis have an aide at school and how many hours do they get with them!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS is in kindy this year. He doesn't get an aide as he doesn't tick enough boxes on whatever form they use to determine eligibilty.
    His teacher said they have aides for kids who don't get funding but DS still wasn't eligible for one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is your son coping well without having the aide?
    I already know my ds isn't going to cope well with going to kindy specially the big change from preschool.
    When you saying do you meaning hcwa funding or school funding?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son(s) have autism and one is in main****** public school the other in preschool.

My ds#1 in main****** didnt have an aide for kindy and he failed miserably and it was pretty awful.

Then he had funding for year 1 and 2 and had an aide for a few hours a week plus she was in the playground so he could go to her for any issues and things improved dramatically.

He is in year three now and the government cut funding so he doesnt get it anymore but is doing well as his confidence has boosted from having that extra support previously and also just being well adjusted to the routine of school now.

1 hour a DAY is pretty good. We got about 3 hours stretched over the WEEK!

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends on how severe it is. There is no way my son would cope in a normal kindy situation - so he is starting next year in the support unit (for special needs kids), it is at the same school his brothers go/will go.

Does your school have a unit like that - or are there any schools around you that do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my dd has Rett syndrome so we have to go through an assessment (at PECAT, in parramatta) in order to access full funding and get into a SSP school. main****** isn't suitable for her

the diagnosis of ASD doesn't guarantee the aide & funding, it's the severity of the condition eg how disabled they are :/ if you want to pursue it, see whether they will let you organise a Griffiths scale assessment to go with your enrolment, good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only schools near us that have units are unfortunately minimum 30 mins away...
    What exactly is the griffiths scale assessment?
    My ds cannot read or write, has OCD tendencies, huge problems with sensory, doesn't cope with a lot of social issues, has a lot of problems with cooperating and concentrating, and we also can't do group therapy with him as he suffers anxiety and ends up having full meltdowns.
    When we saw the principal we walked away with more uncertainty as he wasn't very helpful at all. We made him aware of some of the issues we've had in the past with preschool which he then said 'there are going to be many times in the future that we will butt heads because of things i do, say or how I like things' which we didn't find very positive at all.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The principal said that? I think you should find another school.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-10-2013),heeeeerekittykitty  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kiara n natyns mummy View Post
    Is your son coping well without having the aide?
    I already know my ds isn't going to cope well with going to kindy specially the big change from preschool.
    When you saying do you meaning hcwa funding or school funding?
    No, my DS doesn't cope well at school. We have issues all the time. I'm just waiting for the day he is kicked out really.

I'm not sure what the funding is. Our psychologist said we would be eligible for an aide but DS's teacher spoke to the school counselor who informed her we aren't because we don't fit the requirements on paper.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with Zombie Eyes. If you think that your child won't cope main******, with that amount of help, then even if the other school is 30 mins away, I'd consider it. It could save you a huge amount of stress in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by kiara n natyns mummy View Post
    The only schools near us that have units are unfortunately minimum 30 mins away...
    What exactly is the griffiths scale assessment?
    My ds cannot read or write, has OCD tendencies, huge problems with sensory, doesn't cope with a lot of social issues, has a lot of problems with cooperating and concentrating, and we also can't do group therapy with him as he suffers anxiety and ends up having full meltdowns.
    When we saw the principal we walked away with more uncertainty as he wasn't very helpful at all. We made him aware of some of the issues we've had in the past with preschool which he then said 'there are going to be many times in the future that we will butt heads because of things i do, say or how I like things' which we didn't find very positive at all.