+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just a thought but does your hospital have midwive clinics?

My hospital has a sytem where they have several midwife clinics across the coast at different locations so you don't have to go to hospital (only time you go to hospital is to see doctor)

I never knew they had this with my first but they do this time. The same midwives at the clinics 5mins from me are the same midwives at the hospital 20 mins away, they just do rotations where they will be.

Could be something to look into.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    Just a thought but does your hospital have midwive clinics?
    Yeps we do midwife community clinics across the region.

The problem is the doctors clinics. They're only 15 minute appointments, but if you're high risk enough to be needing to see doctors then the appt is probably gonna take longer than 15 minutes. Duh.

All you need is for a couple of women to get admitted to hospital from antenatal clinic, someone to have abnormal test results that requires a 30-45 minute discussion about what they mean and their options, a few interpreters, someone feeling suicidal and that wait time gets blown out completely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would think that up to about 2 hours is reasonable, given the nature of the appointments - pregnant women can have complications or an emergency, or go into labour, and babies are not always considerate in their timing of wanting to be born. I would think with 5 children AND her DH there, the lady would have been better off leaving DH with the kids and going to the appointment on her own. I love having a long wait time for an appointment without my kids - when else can I sit for 2 hours and read a magazine in peace?! It's great! Sometimes I think that when women are pregnant, they have this idea that the world owes them to make their life easier. I just hate that attitude of 'how dare you make me wait when I am PREGNANT!' Who cares if you are pregnant or not, if you gotta wait, you gotta wait. Best just to make the most of it. I always feel sorry for the midwives/ dr's who will probably not get a lunch break or even a toilet break because they are running 2hrs behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was a bit shocked at the hospital I had Katelyn at that 2 hour waits was totally normal and to be expected. Whereas with jasper at a different hospital I'd be seen between 15-30minutes, still not on time, but near enough.

2 hour waits pregnant with a 2-3 year old in tow were just fabulous. :-/ but same as you, it's a free service, so I can't really complain too much. On the plus side the antenatal clinic shared a waiting room with the paed clinic so there was a gated in play area, which jasper loved and would be sorely disappointed I didn't want to stay and play after my appointed ended!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's why I went with share-care.

It wasn't worth taking half a day off work to go to a hospital ante-natal appointment (that was booked at 8:30am but I didn't get seen until 11am) when instead I could see the GP at 6pm.

What did bother me was when people with 10am appointments were being seen before me (who had an 8:30am appointment). I can understand being delayed because of emergencies, but didn't understand why they didn't keep scheduled appointments in order (when there wasn't an emergency).
    Note: The reason was that we were assigned to different people, the the midwife seeing the person with the 10am appointment was running on time, whereas the midwife I had been booked for was running behind. But since I saw a different midwife each time, I didn't see why I had to be locked into the one they happened to book me with for that visit.

Problem was the GP didn't diagnose bubs breech presentation, and when I went for the 36 week hospital antenatal appointment, suddenly it was a big deal.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 24-10-2013 at 20:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Longest I waited for both pregnancies was about 30 mins. Normal wait time was roughly 15 mins.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I waited 1.5 - 2 hours most times (public obstetric care)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Our hospital is a 2 hr wait. They tell you that on the phone and in your booking letter. They recommend you bring a good book.

I often wait 2hrs or longer, no biggie, it is a hospital not a fast food joint.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a great hospital initially, low risk birthing unit run by midwives. I had to wait 10 minutes one time when the midwife assumed that some other patient that walked in was me and then the next time when she booked me in for a day when she was on holidays. I asked for a new midwife and never had to wait again, until I got sent to another hospital for assessment because I was no longer low risk. There, I had to wait aaaaaages for every appointment, which really sucked when I was 42 weeks pregnant, hot, tired and needing to pee constantly. Especially when DF was taking time off work to be with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I thought I would add, while wait times were long they had volunteers that entertained the kids.