+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Thanks all for your responses.

DS is 8 months and currently feeds between 1-3 times at night but it's purely comfort.

I'm going back to work when he's 11 months and will be doing 1-2 night shifts a week. Problem is he won't take a bottle, have tried, so I guess we need to night wean before then. Not really looking forward to the process tho, but good to hear others have done it successfully.
    Have you tried a sip cup, Shani? My kids would all drink from one at that age. Not as comforting as Mum but different, too, so no confusion.

Most of my kids didn't night feed after 6-8 weeks except G who reverted after 3 mths and I had to use CC to help her sleep through at 10mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DS1 night weaned at the same time he weaned from the boob - 16 months. I encouraged it. After he weaned he had a bottle of cows milk before bed until he gave that up himself at 19 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    Have you tried a sip cup, Shani? My kids would all drink from one at that age. Not as comforting as Mum but different, too, so no confusion.

Most of my kids didn't night feed after 6-8 weeks except G who reverted after 3 mths and I had to use CC to help her sleep through at 10mths.
    He actually won't even take a sippy cup of water, will only have it from a cup, which is not all that practical overnight! He's never taken a dummy either he's just a boob man which is fine but I'm feeling quite drained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shani, you've probably already thought of this, but I think Jay Gordon has a night weaning technique. Here's his page just in case you haven't come across it already.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    Shani, you've probably already thought of this, but I think Jay Gordon has a night weaning technique. Here's his page just in case you haven't come across it already.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    Thanks, I have read that but co-sleeping won't help us. Not only do i not like it (I like my own space), I don't sleep with DS next to me. And also the reason we are looking at night weaning is because I'll be doing night shifts so that won't help.

Thanks for the suggestion tho and glad it worked for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    Ds1 20 months, forced or i'd have gone insane,

He was feeding hourly.

I brought a spill proof sippy cup and refused to nurse whenever the sun was down, when he asked I said no milks in bed now , you can have milk in the morning but heres your cup and you can have cuddles.

The first night he screamed and sobbed, i fed at 3 am and my heart broke

Second he cried a bit but no hysterics.

Third night he woke, asked for his cup & a cuddle and went to sleep
    Wow, 20 months, I bow down to the woman who can go that long with a baby who wakes hourly!

Sometimes I wish I could reason with him!! I might try another sippy cup. There just all so expensive to buy then for him to not use! It was bad with dummies but they were cents compared to bottles and sippy cups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd (almost 9 months) is a real booby girl too. I had success with the pigeon mag mag sippy after reading some reviews about how others had success. Every other bottle or sippy she flat out refused. It took a few weeks, first she chewed on it, (which was great cos little bits of fluid come out when doing this) but now she drinks water from it great. I let her play with it to feel comfortable about it, and gently trying to encourage her to sip, but never forced it. She got it in the end. Yet to try ebm though. It is expensive, around 20 bucks from chemists (I know the feeling of wasting money on bottles and cups!!!)

In regards to night weaning, I forced the issue just before 8 months as she was still happily nursing every 3 hours round the clock. I did this by giving her boob for 5 min side per side and reducing it by 1 min a night. Then when she woke when it was down to one minute I did cc. (I would of patted/cuddled but she has never been interested in this and doesn't settle her, just boob). It took just around 4 nights of tough love.

Now she either sleeps through or wakes at 4-5 for a quick feed (I dont mind that it's heaps better then what it was and it's not every night)

Good luck with your job I'm dreading returning to work in a couple of months too, dd still hates my mum and I worry about her refusing to drink.

Edit: co sleeping is a big no no here too, dd has been in own cot in her room from 3 months
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 25-10-2013 at 06:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I night weaned ds3 when he was 18 months. I had tried before that and he just wasnt ready. I'd tried bottles regularly from about 6 months and he has never taken one. He is jut stubborn. Ds1 and 2 were much easier, ds1 night weaned about 6 weeks old! Ds2 about 8 months, but still woke up until 11 months... He didn't take a bottle until about 2 months after he weaned, then I couldn't get it off him until he was nearly 3 hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 years 8 months... I definitely encouraged it! DH had a week off work so I made him get up to her through the night, and this finally made her wean. After that week she slept so much better!
    Eta - she wasn't waking like a newborn at this stage, generally she would wake once, I would take her to our bed and BF her there and she would fall asleep like that, but cry if I tried to move away so it was making me crazy!
    Last edited by Just*Ace; 25-10-2013 at 07:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was sleeping through at 8weeks and DS at 6 weeks.

I introduced a 'dream feed' with DD at about 6 weeks (before i went to bed, around 10pm) and about 2 weeks later she was sleeping from 7-7 (with the dream feed at 10pm ish). I started the dream feed pretty much straight away with DS (though he only ever woke once a night from 2 days old) and he was sleeping 7-7 by 6 weeks ish.
    I stopped around 6 months, (both kids were on solids by then so didnt need a night feed, plus i stopped breastfeeding around then too)
    http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2011...d-to-know.html

This isnt the site i was looking for but its not bad.