+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vbac or csection..

I had my ante natal visit today and i was told to make a decision by my next visit in 6 weeks.
    I am so lost. The midwife said if i choose a csection i have to have another one and im encouraged to get my tubes tied after my 3rd child, but if i want more children then im putting myself at risk.. Im only 19 years old! What if i dont plan on having more kids but it just happens? So scary
    If i try for a vbac there could also be complications. There is no winning!

Someone help with information or personal experiences to make it easier for me please.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All I can say is I'm trying a vbac. I don't want another cs

I know of many vba2cs, so it kinda sounds like the midwife may be a little old school??? And I also know of many people who have had more than 3 cs!!

At the end of the day- don't let them scare you. Do your own research, and whatever you feel comfortable with and which way you want to go, go with that and be prepared to fight for it. Whichever you choose- someone will be against it.

Good luck hun- I reckon pregnancies after a normal vb must be a breeze compared to those of us who ended up with a cs. Less pressure!! Xx

Me 27 + Him 28 =
    DD- 20.7.2012
    #2 due 28.1.2014
    6 angels loved and missed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The way I see it - VBAC makes more sense. The risk of uterine rupture after 1 previous ceasarean is only a smidge higher than if you'd NEVER HAD ANY BABIES BEFORE. And even then, the risk of a rupture doesn't mean a dead baby. Basically in 10000 VBAC attempts, an average of about 1-2 babies will die as a the result of uterine rupture in an attempted VBAC. That means that 9998/9 of those VBAC attempts will not end in a dead baby as the result of uterine rupture. (Approx 1 in 200 VBAC attempts will end in uterine rupture without the death of a baby involved).

So... basically... the odds are in your favourite for VBAC IMO.

Plus, you've not got the "well, I can't have any more babies," stuff put aside too. And, just FWIW, you may find that that having had a few babies via c-sec doesn't mean no more babies afterwards. Unless they've looked at evaluated your individual uterus, they can't say whether or not it could handle it just based on how many births you've had already.

I'm having a VBAC. I never want another caesarean again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your midwife is spinning you a load of poo to be honest.
    What is the reason she is giving you behind having only 3 c-sec?
    Personally I would love to have another vaginal birth. But my second birth was a classical c-sec which gives you no choice but to have more c-sec. I have now had 4 c-sec and will be having another next year. After each one I have been told I am ok to have more. This one was a surprise and I didnt want to put my body through it again but I was given another gift so be it.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely go for the VBAC. In Dec last year I had a VBA2C. Everyone told me it was impossible, except for the head of obstetrics at the hospital. He was the only one that encouraged me. and I did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same boat & currently still deciding. It's so hard! My biggest fear is going for a VBAC but then ending up with another emergency c-section...

If you want some more advice/support, there's a great Facebook group called VBAC Australia Support Group -& you can read other people's experiences, get advice from others in the same situation etc - in a non judgmental way. It's a private group so you have to request to join. I've found the ladies on there helpful.

(Mods - if I've done something wrong by mentioning the Facebook group, I'm happy for you to amend or delete my post!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never had a c-section, but I would go VBAC for sure... From what I've heard, The recovery of a c section sounds awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had an emergency csection last time after a failed induction. Because I have to be induced next time at 38 weeks I would rather an elective csection than another failed induction and potential emergency csection.

Will you be able to go to term? Do you need to be induced? What was the reason for your last csection?

These are things I would consider in making a decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I had an emergency csection last time after a failed induction. Because I have to be induced next time at 38 weeks I would rather an elective csection than another failed induction and potential emergency csection.

Will you be able to go to term? Do you need to be induced? What was the reason for your last csection?

These are things I would consider in making a decision.
    I was told you can't be induced after a cs?? That is so interesting that you still can!! Not that I'd go an induction again...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rach85 View Post
    I was told you can't be induced after a cs?? That is so interesting that you still can!! Not that I'd go an induction again...
    The ob I spoke to didn't say I couldn't opt for VBAC so must be able to, she did though explain the potential same issue I could possibly have.