+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 18 month child health nurse check

is this really necessary? what do they check?
    DS is going to have his 18m needles next week so im guessing the doctor will ask if there is anythig im worried about which i dont think i am..so i wonder if its going to be a waste of time booking with the child health nurse too? She usually has you wait about an hour in the waiting room so i would love to avoid her.
    so what did they check at yours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to CHN as dr didn't fill out my book when I went to get vacs. I made appt with CHN to get book filled out.

CHN asked about:
    number of words DS has, I think she said they only need 10-15
    can he take shoes off.
    build blocks stacking 3 or more.
    point to 3 body parts.
    self feeding ok.
    eating variety of food.
    scribbling with pen/crayon.

Um...I think that was it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    great thanks for that..
    well ds can take his socks off.. shoes are on too good to get off himself
    and can do the rest.. hmm i will try get my doc to just fill it in if they can do that instead...

Thanks
    Reviews
    mainly speech for us. I got a little info from CHN on what she's "suppoed to be upto" at 18mths.
    Understanding simple instructions and Following simple instructions - "go and get your shoes, bring them to mum..." ect.
    Making sounds - animals, vowels.
    Upto 20 clear words or so

DD was clearly delayed in the vocal department but was very good with instructions. chn made a couple follow up appts with her then she became a little concerned with progress and she got us into see a speech path and hearing test all close by and no waiting. But GP's can do all this too, i think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am not a child Health nurse but worked in a MCHN clinic and I really think the 18 check is important. The next one is not till they are closer to 3 so it means 2 years without a check and sometimes things that don't seem significant actually are. 99% of the time things are fine but its better to catch things early. I've just seen more the a few mums not get checks only to find out there is a issue and the child has missed out on months or years of therapy if needed. My best friends little boy without a doubt has delays and she just can't see it. She missed the 18 check and the 4y old one is coming up but he was showing delay signs at 18m. She is always saying how advanced my DS was. He isint advanced. He's a typical almost 4 y old. Anyway that's my opinion!
    ETA...I wouldn't get a GP to do it....
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks ck2b. why do you think a gp cant do it? Do you think a chn will know what to look for more than them? i think i will book that appointment now..scared me a bit u never know!
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find gps don't generally have the time to go over everything in fine detail 10-15 min appointment slots and often running behind. Mchn appointments where I live they allow 1 hr. So can do check thoroughly and discuss any concerns and education etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've never taken DS to a MHCN always to our family DR (GP) and he is very thorough , I suppose it depends if you have a regular/family one you know and trust

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    3 words. Waste. Of. Time.

in theory they are a good idea as ck2b said, however in SA they use an extremely outdated test. There are 5-7 questions in 5 sections - communication, gross motor, fine motor, social, problem solving.

they then add up how many activities your toddler can do and put them in a black zone (under development), grey (slightly behind) or white (on par).

what doesn't make sense to me is that if they can't do something like 'use a utensil to help get an object off a shelf they otherwise can't reach with their hands' then they don't get a point for the problem solving section. So perhaps when answering your questionnaire they can't do the exact activities in the questionnaire, they may end up in the grey or black zone as the nurse doesn't dig further to see if your toddler can perhaps do other things that show their ability to problem solve in another age appropriate way.

It's just out dated and too basic to assess development. Maybe too your child is so busy running around and climbing and exploring and have spent less time mastering other skill ares and in my book that doesn't make them behind, it just shows strengths and weaknesses and at the end of the day we all aren't great at everything are we? So why use a standardised test that doesn't allow for this inevitable factor!?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with Allie pallie - at least here in SA anyway, the child&youth services nurses are a complete waste of space -- all they do is follow a set scripting & if you do anything outside their parameters, you're a bad parent. And the questionnaires they use are ridiculous "can your child pick up Cheerios" -- ummm, no, because I don't feed my child sugary cereal!

If you are worried and want the 18 month check up to have peace of mind, I'd be more inclined to stick with a good pediatric GP or an actual pediatrician rather than one if those health nurses!