+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Speech delay

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Ds is 20m and has been diagnosed. For his age his speech delay is extreme.

My therapist is in the process of sending me some information.

If you could please share ideas / games for working with ds and positive stories that would be great.

Also I have a 4 year old, so I'm busy with both. I work 3 days so don't get 1 on 1 time unless Dh takes my oldest outside a little on the weekend.

Do you think I should put my 4 year old in childcare/kinder an extra day (so from 2 to 3 days) so I can have a day with just my 20m old ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I don't have any advice as i'm in the same boat. It's interesting that the speech therapist we saw didn't seem to concern about DS delay although he's 23mo and doesn't speak a single word other than titti (boobs lol). She thinks he's ok and we just need to give him more time.

I have started music therapy for him anyway since he loves music so much. What the therapist does is encouraging him to make different sounds with his mouth with music instruments like a little trumpet. She also encourages him to fill in the last word of a familiar sentence. Like she sings "if you're happy and you know it clap your....." and gives him about 30secs to finish it. It's been a month and I haven't seen any speech improvement yet but he seems to enjoy the music sessions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. How do I find out about music therapy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I posted this in another thread but you might find it helpful.

My DS is 25 months and has about 15 words. He has been diagnosed with expressive language delay. I am currently doing the Hanen Target Words (apparently best practice in ST) program which is really good for ways to get them to talk with no pressure. Stop asking them "say ...." or "Can you say......." stop using raising intonation, make things a statement rather than a question. When playing let them take the lead, sit face to face and have your own toys, copy what they are doing (don't take over) and wait for a sound or gesture from them then make a comment. They call it OWLing, Observe Wait Listen - then interpret and make a comment. Sometimes you have to wait a long time before they will make a sound or gesture and that is really hard but it does work.
    I have found a couple of really good blogs by speech pathologists that have given me some ideas that have helped and they do seem to be based on the Hanen technique.

http://thelittlestories.com/blog/ LOVE this one

http://www.playingwithwords365.com/ another good one

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (24-10-2013),Jellyfishie  (24-10-2013),lovesushi  (24-10-2013),Purple Lily  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.austmta.org.au/
    If you can find a therapist in your area that specializes in Early childhood, they'd be able to send you information on how music therapy can help to improve verbal and non verbal communication.

I'm still interested to know why your therapist think your DS has extreme delay? Does he babble at all? My therapist said that she wouldn't be too worried until he's 3. I know lots of boys don't start to talk till they're 2.5-3yo and when they start it will be a whole sentence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are interested in the Hanen Target Word program here is a link to more info

http://www.hanen.org/Programs/For-Pa...rget-Word.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

Not a lot of babbling. More "Eeee, eeee" when he tries to communicate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is severely speech delayed (she is 4 and autistic)
    the hanan program's are fantastic that the previous posters have mmentioned we also use flash cards for communication which helps

i made up small flash cards, cut a lid in a container and use that as a game... Give them 1 card wait to see if they say the word if not say it then get them to put in the container.... Can get very repeatative but it seems to be working

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest who is 7 has regressive autism and frontal lobe brain damage. She has always had speech issues and has been going to speech therapy since she was 7. Her ballet teacher told me when she was in prep she couldn't understand anything my daughter said and thought that she spoke like a deaf person.

We were greatly concerned that while she was speaking her words were not clear. Her speech therapist did not she preferred to let it incidentally correct itself. She said to me that if we try to correct it may clam up her speaking all together and the fact she's talking at all is a good thing.

Now she is in grade one she is softly spoken and doesn't have a lot to say but her speech is very clear almost unnoticeable of a speech impairment. She does have to pause a bit when trying to get long complicated things out but she has improved so much from where she was at 3 non verbal. Just being around great talking peers has incidentally corrected her speech.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a little confused as the paediatrician suggested daycare 1 day a week to help, but the speech therapist said that 1 on 1 contact with my mum (while I'm at work) is better.
    I was thinking of putting him in care 1 day week next year when he turns 2 (in feb), but now I'm not sure.
    Ds1 went to daycare 1-2 days from the age of 13m!
    Ds2 might be more 'delicate' if he can't verbally communicate?! Wdyt?