+ Reply to Thread
    ~Gracie'sMummy~ is offline There is no footprint so small that it doesn't leave an imprint on this world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Recommended Marriage Counsellor MELB

My DH and I are going through some challenges in our marriage and friendship at the moment and are considering seeking some counselling. The challenge is finding a really good marriage/couples counsellor, as the wrong one can do more harm than good when things are already fragile....

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good marriage/couples counsellor in Melbourne? Preferably South Eastern Suburbs, but happy to travel anywhere within Melb for the right one.

Thank you, really appreciate your help.

~Gracie'sMummy~ is offline There is no footprint so small that it doesn't leave an imprint on this world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Morning, so sorry to hear you're having issues, have so been there but we got through it!

We used Catherine Lally at Mpact Psychology in the CBD - just off Collins St. I really liked that she was non judgemental and didn't take sides. My husband also liked her - and for someone who was really anti psychologists before hand, that was a big call!

All the best, hope it helps x

It's such a personal thing to find the right one!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

~Gracie'sMummy~  (27-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you MrsA2B... It's so encouraging hearing an example of a couple that have been through it and have made it out the other side...
    Did your psychologist give you both good insight and some tools to help rebuild your marriage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, she have us some good practical tools which was really helpful, but I think for us, the most helpful part was having an impartial person listen to us both.

It helped us to actually hear each other's point of view, because we weren't talking at each other and getting defensive like we always did, we were talking to her which meant we could listen without anger (hope that makes sense!).

And after each session, we were able to sort of let everything go til the next week, and actually try and enjoy each other's company again - I was less likely to sweat the small issues between sessions because I wasn't worried that we weren't communicating - I knew we had the sessions coming up and we could discuss it then, rather than fighting in the moment.

I think if you both value your relationship enough to spend the time in counselling, then clearly there is still hope for the relationship and still some care and love there. It takes courage to fix the issues, so cudos to you and your other half for doing it! I hope it all works out for you both.

My DH and I are in a really good place now and love each other more than ever, so it can be done xx