+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally wouldn't do it. Names are special to me, and I don't like to use names that I know someone with that name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just found out my cousin is due 3 months after me and we're really close. We've decided not to talk about names at all with each other just so if we do happen to like the same name it's purely coincidental - although if she told me a name she liked, I think it would automatically be on my no list just because I would be offended if she took one of mine. I think id be one of the precious ones
    In saying that, I think we have totally different taste in names so won't have anything to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's totally fine. If it's a very close friend I probably wouldn't, I'd they're going to be spending lots of time together, or more, we'll spend loads of time talking about our kids and it would be a constantly confusing.

But I think it's not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Totally depends on the friendship.

I have a bh friend who was a part of my nov 08 dig who had a son a couple of years ago now. She msg'd me and asked if she could use my ds1 sons name. I appreciated that.

My brother has a psycho ex who had a son nearly a year ago. She is out I her tree mental, and thought it would be a good idea to call her son the exact same first and middle name as my ds1. So he now has a 1st cousin with his given names and my last name. (To clarify, psycho ex gave her son my brothers last name even though he's not allowed contact. I am not married so still go by that same last name- my kids have dp's last name.) totally not ok, even though we will probably never meet this baby unless he seeks us out when he's older, it's still not ok.

When dd was born and we announced her name, both of my brothers said they had talked with their partners about using a slight variation of the names (1st and middle) and my 8 month pregnant cousin had said that was the very first and second name they were going to use if their baby was a girl. The middle name is our nana's name, which explains why we all thought similar, but to use almost the same first name or a slight variation was a fluke for all of us. Luckily I got in first. If any of my family wanted to use the same middle name I wouldn't mind. (Because its in honour of our nana- if it were a name I thought of first randomly I would be a bit peeved)

So I think it completely depends on circumstance. Op, in your situation I would make contact and just say that you really love the name, are intending on using it, hope they don't mind etc.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Names are not single use, go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of my cousins (they're brothers) named their sons Billy and William. William gets called Wilbur, not Billy though. It still seems pretty weird to me though.

To answer the question, i think it all depends on how close you are with the other parent(s).

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VikkiB View Post
    Two of my cousins (they're brothers) named their sons Billy and William. William gets called Wilbur, not Billy though. It still seems pretty weird to me though.

To answer the question, i think it all depends on how close you are with the other parent(s).

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app
    See I automatically think willy & billy..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you see that person all the time, then probably not a good idea. But if you are just an acquaintance, then maybe it's not so bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you don't see them that much, its not a big deal. I'm more concerned when a family member's similar aged child has the same name.