+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did. We were already set on a name (kept it secret) and a friend (well more of an acquaintance) had her DD 2 months before ours and called her xxxx too. No way were we going to change it! It's a common name anyway in the top 20 I think so I wasn't bothered about her being "unique".

Edit: and as she wasn't a good friend I couldn't give a toss if she was offended lol!!!!!!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-10-2013 at 11:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    If you're super super close I wouldn't personally do it, but otherwise I think it's fine.

If I was having a girl I would have called her Emilia and my best friends sister (who I see alot) has a baby girl by that name.

I don't think it matters really.
    That's my dds name!! I have never met another :-)

If you don't see them often then I would but if it was someone who was a big part of my life I wouldn't.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the friendship and the age difference between the kids. One of my husband's best friends named his son the same name as our son which we thought was a bit hmmmm, I didn't really like it, but wasn't gonna get upset about it, whereas my husband was a bit p!ssed off.

On the other hand, I named one of our sons the same name as my best friend's brother's (who I am quite close to) son, but they are 12 years apart in age and I checked first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are really close to the person I personally wouldn't. Although we have friends we see maybe once or twice a year and our dd's have the same name, but as they had their dd first I did talk to my friend and say that was the name we had picked and did they mind if we used it as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing... Be back later

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually found out after I had DS that a friend had a 3 year-old with DS's name! This friend lived overseas so I hadn't seen her in 5 years since her wedding and only discovered it on Facebook on one of the rare occasions she posted a photo. She sent me a lovely message though, so it hardly matters

But a close friend, hmmm I don't think I could no matter how much I loved the name. It wouldn't feel right. I actually had a friend who told me she wanted DS's name for her second baby as she loved the name so much. I said that was lovely. She lived interstate anyway. She said it wouldn't feel right though. Then she gradually stopped contacting me which was odd, I just put it down to her moving away and the distance, but I've since found out she used DS's name for her 3'rd son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a hard one. If they were someone you knew, but weren't friends with, I would.

But other than that.. I wouldn't. I like unique names though, so if I found out someone I knew had it, it would lose appeal to me.

I also agree with what a pp said about calling the person if you are close to them, I think it's a nice gesture... Because it may not mean anything to you, but it may mean something to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of DHs friends chose the same name as our son. When we named him, he said "That's our boy's name" and when they did have a boy the following year, they used the same name. It didn't bother us, although it is a fairly uncommon name.
    We don't have any name shortlisted for our next one, but I am personally put off using a name that has already been used by someone who we know. However, if I had my heart set on one, I would just use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A good friend of ours had a baby a few months ago. I saw her in hospital when bub was an hour old and when she told me his name I said, 'that's the only boys name I have ever liked'.
    She turned to her little bub and said, 'one day you will have to share your name with their bub'.

Was lovely <3

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (24-10-2013),Little Monkey2  (24-10-2013),snowqu33n  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KnockKnockPenny View Post
    A good friend of ours had a baby a few months ago. I saw her in hospital when bub was an hour old and when she told me his name I said, 'that's the only boys name I have ever liked'.
    She turned to her little bub and said, 'one day you will have to share your name with their bub'.

Was lovely <3
    Thats super cute.

I dont think its really anything to be precious about. I know 3 lots people who are friends of friends that we see at certain times of the year all younger than my dd with the same name as her. She has another in her class as well. Its the price you pay for choosing a name in the top 20 imo. Even if its not a popular name id take it as a compliment.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app