+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler won't drink milk

Hi there!

My 20 month old recently weaned from breast feeding and won't drink any other form of milk. I've offered him various types (cow, almond, oat etc) even tried watering it down and warming it up a bit, but he just doesn't like it.

I know it's not essential that he drinks milk as long as he is getting enough dairy, but last night my MIL said that is "worries" her that he won't drink anything but water. (I actually see it as kind of a good thing) I just said to her that he eats heaps of yoghurt and cheese so he'll be fine.. But I wish I had a better response for her... Can anyone help!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is really weird she said that.
    I breastfed my daughter until she was 11 months then she had cows milk for a few months but decided she wasn't that keen. She is now 2y4m and has only drunk water since- occasionally having a small cup of milk when she feels like it.

My friend is a dietician and she said that having milk wasnt a necessity in a diet- if anything less dairy was better.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would he try a smoothie instead?

If they're eating heaps of dairy I don't think it's all that much of a worry, but smoothies and Milo are great to try..

My 3.5 yr old loves his milk but hates other dairy products.

2 yr old really isn't bothered if he doesn't have it but he'd live on yogurt given the chance. And he loves smoothies too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I should add I was talking about cows milk too- not sure about almond milk and all that- I have heard that that kind of milk is good for you, but would have to ask my friend.

I agree with above poster- if getting dairy from other things like yoghurt, cheese etc than I wouldnt be too worried as their recommended portion intake for dairy is pretty small anyway

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies

He does like smoothies! We usually have them for breakfast in summer.
    I have tried milo, and the flavoured straws because he loves drinking from a straw but this kiddo won't be fooled!

I did speak to our maternal nurse about it and she said the same thing... Milks not really essential to his diet.. I guess that it's mainly that my inlaws parenting is VERY different to mine, they didn't understand why I was so keen to bf and why I did for so long, they think nothing of feeding him sh*t food at any opportunity they get, so I like to be prepared when they question anything when it comes to my sons diet, and she didn't seem convinced last night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I'm not at all concerned about him not drinking it... It's more just having a good response for the inlaws lol!

Although I would like him to drink some form of milk, mainly for those nights where he doesn't have much for dinner, I was always happy knowing that at least he would have a bf before bed but now there is nothing to fall back on to make sure he has something in his belly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DewDanni For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    According to my mum I have never drunk a cup of cows milk, apparently I refused to drink any milk once weaned from formula in a bottle at 12 months I still hate it to this day! Too much dairy does make me feel sick though, I think I probably have a very mild intolerance.
    I always ate plenty of cheese as a kid, mum said she was told other dairy was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and maybe you could make him a milo at night before bed if you're worried? Does he like that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I listened to MIL my kids would be eating crap 3 times a day just so they had food in their belly.

If I listened to my dad, well my kids would take a bottle to the age of 8!

Lol

If he's happy and healthy then the 'oldies' will have to learn new parenting techniques!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS has only ever had water as a drink since he stopped formula at 15 months - milk is totally unnecessary , if its calcium they are worried about its quite easy to get the recommend 1 and a half serves of calcium rich foods daily ( yogurt/cheese/nuts/vegetables/cereal ect) plus milk inhibits iron absorption ( big problem in toddlers) so I would just tell your MIL he gets plenty of calcium from other foods and it's not a problem