+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I only would if it directly offended me ie an affair with my husband, stealing from me etc. I'm not at all stimulated by political debate so tend to steer clear of most other incendiary topics anyway.

I did once dump a guy because he was so homophobic it was ridiculous, like to the point of me thinking 'well, he must surely be gay and in denial' like the dad in American Beauty. Homophobia really challenges me, but I don't have homophobic friends so it's not an issue...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It all depends on the issue and the friendship. If it was my best friend I would support her through anything, even if I didn't agree with it, because that's what friends are for. (providing it wasn't illegal, parental abuse etc)
    If it was a not so close friend that was doing something-like gender termination I would cut ties.
    I once had a friend "dump me" because I went back to work full time and she didn't agree with putting children in child care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have, not immediately, but found it difficult to maintain friendships with people who have a different view on core values.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    I recently had a situation where a close friend of mine walked out on his wife and kids to hook up with a teenage girl. He brags about how he was screwing his wife over for money (and his poor kids!!!). I certainly do not condone his behaviour but he is a mate.
    I tell him I think he's a d1ck... Cos that's what friends do.
    See this is how I am. I wouldn't condone the behaviour but they are still my friends.

The only person I have ever cut ties with is a old friend who sold drugs etc and her daughter aged 4 knew a cr@ck pipe was. Even when police raided them. Made me sick. She would pay people in drugs to look after her kids. I called docs and they still do nothing. Before I was pregnant I didn't care (this probably sounds selfish) but when I realised I was going to raise a child etc and I had love of my own for one it was totally different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    See this is how I am. I wouldn't condone the behaviour but they are still my friends.

The only person I have ever cut ties with is a old friend who sold drugs etc and her daughter aged 4 knew a cr@ck pipe was. Even when police raided them. Made me sick. She would pay people in drugs to look after her kids. I called docs and they still do nothing. Before I was pregnant I didn't care (this probably sounds selfish) but when I realised I was going to raise a child etc and I had love of my own for one it was totally different.
    I'm the same... Prior to having kids I wasn't as strongly opinionated as what I am now. I guess because prior to having kids I never thought about certain things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are certain things I definitely walk away from. I can't handle racism so I'm likely to not want to be friends with someone who has racist views.

I have a friend who is anti-vax and I won't lie, I have distanced myself from her. But, it's not because she's anti-vax as such, it's that she denies things like whooping couch can kill. So when she asked if she could come visit bubs when she was born I said no because of this. There have been a few cases of WC around us lately and I just don't want to take the risk. She got really offended and told me I was being over the top. The friendship has definitely been strained since then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently de friended a good friend of mine for over 13 years due to drugs, crappy lifestyle and just constant whining "woe is me" sooking, but not prepared to change her life. I put up with it for years and I got sick of it. I chose to de friend in May and haven't regretted it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was a deep issue, like a difference in morality, yes.

I do value my friends, I do not have many and the ones I have are very special to me. If I found out that they were doing something that challenged me on my core beliefs...I would distance myself.

I have friends that parent differently to me, as in, they let their kids watch diff shows and do different stuff...but not things that would cause me to question my morals.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Patience Belmont  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah one real sticking point would be if they were anti-vax, but that's because their actions are putting me and my loved ones at risk.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes I would but it would have to be a big moral/ethical issue or something like racism/hate etc.

I have friends with different beliefs, religions, cultures, political parties and lifestyle and I love the diversity these friends bring to my life and how they can open my world to different ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Giggle For This Useful Post:

Patience Belmont  (24-10-2013)